twenty

they were in a car junkyard

they were in a car junkyard. the sound of dogs echoed. leaves dancing like the wind. the opening of a bottle can be heard.

royce looked up at her father, who was standing on top of a metal musty box. "you've trained hard. you've gotten stronger, tougher, faster. you've done your best. you're ready for this tournament, am i right?".

"yes sensei!", everybody yelled out.

"wrong!", johnny throws his beer can to the ground. some spilling on royce sweats. she rolled her eyes.

everybody looked down at the spill, then at royce, then sensei.

"your best aint shit! if you wanna win the all valley under-18 karate tournament, you gotta give me better than your best. do you understand?".

"yes, sensei!"

"are you losers?"

"no, sensei!"

"are you nerds?"

"no, sensei!"

"are you sure?"

"no, sensei!".

royce did a double take, she whipped her head around so fast, "fucking bitchballs."

the group ran the tires around until aisha tripped and didn't get up quickly enough before  all the students fell on top of eachother.

royce was walking on a long board of wood that her father set up, that was across a big bin of scrap metal. she almost slipped but hawk was closest to her and caught her.

"thank you", she muttered while he stared into her eyes quickly. he nodded.

after the activities, johnny started passing around out beef jerky bits to all the kids. "you guys hungry?". everybody nodded, making sensei smirk, royce knew this smirk so well, she knew something was going to happen.

"good. 'cause so are they." he blew a high pitched whistle. royce could hear overlapping barks.

"holy nuts!" royce yelled, instantly running. royce looked for something to go on top on, she spotted a rusty pick up truck and jumped on top.

"royce! help me get up faster!" hawk yelled as he ran up to the pick up truck, the dogs close to him. royce rushed her hand towards his hands and pulled him up with all her force. which made her fall, which also made him fall on top of her.