9- sleepover ~ pt. 2

"Four million years of evolution, and you still can't eat food properly." Dio scoffed, watching Diego snatch a tiny handful of dinner behind Wills back.

"I'm not about to take criticism from someone that has a step-by-step plan to kill their geography professor in their notebook." He retorted, flicking mashed potato at his brother and laughing when it splat on his nose.

Wills crooked footsteps made their way to the kitchen, Diego's superior hearing alerting him of the approaching man and quickly cleaning himself up, Dio following suite right before he entered.

"Good evening, sirs, I hate to interrupt your fun, but there is someone on the phone for you." Will held out a little black flip-phone with a straight face, his free hand holding a tray shielded by a metal dome.

"Someone's calling for us? Who would that be, our father?" Dio snorted.

"Maybe it's one of our friends; you know how Kira sometimes gets paranoia and cant sleep." Diego added, taking the phone from the butlers hands. 

Eager to see who it is and overrun by curiosity, he put it up to his ear and let out a little 'hello', taking in all that the person on the other line said while he nodded, face only growing paler by the second.

Dio let the insistent pounding in his head track the passing time, world turning blurry as the floor began to sway beneath his feet when his brother said three simple words.

"Father is dead."

----

"It is as you requested, my mistress." Will purred, walking into your office with the tray in hand. "Avdol and Okuyasu reported their success a mere few moments ago. I've also brought you an appetizer to eat while you work... at least, I assume you're working, and not moping on the past again."

You were staring blankly into the little picture frame, fingers lazily dragging down its side as a longing sigh fluttered out of your lips like a dying butterfly. 

The office was pitifully dark, no light other then the lamp poised on the desk offering any sort depiction as to what was where. The Victorian painting strung onto your wall looked down at you with dull eyes, as judgmental as ever in their frilly blue dress and prim white parasol.

"I'm just wondering if I made the right decision when I... You know..." Your voice was husk and low, perhaps from the bit of crying you had done moments before Will appeared in the room. 

The brunette sighed, stepping into the room and setting the tray down to the side before coming over to pull your in a hug. "If you'd like my take on it, I think you made the right choice that day."

"But there's no other explanation as to why everything would suddenly come crumbling down five years later, Will! It has to be his doing, and whoever is working alongside him!" You grumbled, glaring knives into the wedding photograph as if it would kill the man inside spontaneously. "My subordinates haven't changed within these few years. No one has joined, and no one has left. He's somehow managed to not only get into contact with one, but get them to turn on me."

"I'm sure you will break this case soon. You're incredibly smart, known as one of the most cold and calculating bosses in the underground, so it's going to take a little more than just a silly little man to break you." Will smiled, patting your head. "Now, dinner has actually been ready for a while, and the plate I brought in wasn't fixed with appetizers."

Curious, your sharp eyes followed Wills swift movements as he plucked the silver tray off of a dresser and presented it to you-- gloved hands plucking the shining dome off the top and revealing a letter beneath, a letter opener next to it.