Chapter Five

𝐎𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟒

THERE IS PIN-DROP SILENCE, as she glares at him, the ferocity smoldering in her dark indigo eyes.

"I don't owe you anything" she spits, quite venomously for someone stuck in her predicament.

Draco doesn't know what pushed him to spill the words that left his lips just moments prior. It feels like something is clawing at his insides, an acrid poison spewing flames inside his lungs.

Or maybe, that's just how he wants to describe it.

In reality, he's intrigued, confused, almost, by this strange, quiet girl who's mysteriously joined Hogwarts this year. Lucius himself had a grave look on his face after the Quidditch world cup, when Draco mentioned to him the incident of their unfortunate encounter.

"That girl is trouble" he'd replied, drowsy over a glass of firewhiskey, "The kind of trouble that's caught the attention of the Dark Lord. You'd do best to keep an eye on her, boy. Wouldn't want him to be displeased, would you?"

Of course, he'd been sort of amused at first. All sarcasm and fieriness aside, Maya Rajesh doesn't even come up to his shoulder, her attempt at anger reminding him of a disgruntled pomeranian. Really? This pint-sized firecracker is trouble according to the Dark Lord? The worst thing she could do was stab someone with a toothpick.

Well, that was before he found out that she's an actual freak of nature.

Draco finally finds words again, as she turns to leave.

"Diana is one of your roommates, am I correct?"

She freezes.

"What about it?"

Draco sighs, running a hand through his hair as vague sentences start to form in his mind.

Is he really contemplating asking Maya Rajesh for a favor?

"Being a.....Malfoy......the other kids are bound to pick on her for being a Hufflepuff. And though she may not act like it, it will hurt a lot..."

"And your point is?..."

"If I do anything to stop them, it'll screw things up for both of us. And I doubt my friends are dumb enough to help her either...."

Maya knows exactly where this is going.

And the last thing she wants to do at three in the morning is agree to a sordid favor for this albino rich boy in front of her.

But she can see it in his eyes, he truly does care about his sister. The way he talked about her just now, his tone was desperate, pleading, like he wants to protect her. He's a coward, obviously, but maybe....maybe he's a little less cruel than he seems to be.

Towards his family, at least.

"And what exactly do I have to do with this?"

Malfoy looks at her incredulously.

"Look out for her, make sure she doesn't get hurt.......and maybe I'll make sure the whole school doesn't find out about your little secret"

Maya narrows her eyes at him. For some reason, she feels that the deal is a little too good to be true, that there's an underlying sense of deceit in his tone. She can once remember Arjun telling her to never trust a snake, that they'll strike once your back is turned. And this boy in front of her is the shrewdest of the pack, eyes glinting with a mischieviousness that unsettles her.