Chapter Seven

𝐎𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟒

THE LAST PLACE DRACO MALFOY EXPECTS to find Maya Rajesh is at the Owlery.

Her sillhouette is the only thing visible in the semidarkness, the soft scratching of a quill indicating her purpose here. He seems to have a bad habit of running into her, Draco thinks to himself, chills running up his spine at the words that leave her lips next.

"If you're going to stalk me, at least learn to do it right"

He raises an eyebrow, swallowing the fear in his throat as he takes a few steps forward.

"First of all, I'm not stalking you-"

"Sure.."

"I just happened to be here to send off a letter. What are you doing here?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

Her snark cuts deep, for some reason. Draco is suddenly angry at her. How do people tolerate Maya Rajesh, someone so petulant and disarming? He doubts he's seen her smile once in the short weeks that school has commenced. She always hangs around Granger and Potter, probably planning world domination along with them.

Draco really wouldn't put anything past her.

Then he remembers their agreement, and all venomous thoughts fall away.

"How's Diana?" he questions, as she sighs, turning around to face him, "Or have you forgotten about our deal already?"

"You know what? How about you go ahead and shove it up your-"

"Is everything that comes out of your mouth poisonous, or are you just like that with me?"

"What do you think?"

Draco sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose to keep his temper.

"You still haven't answered my question yet"

She fiddles with the hem of her crimson sweater, black skirt swaying in the breeze that ruffles his hair.

"If you must know, she's fine. The Hufflepuffs mostly just ignore her, though some of them have made an effort to be civil. Diana gets through her classes well. She's a lot better at Arithmancy than I will ever be -"

"And you're not mistreating her?"

She looks very shocked, for a second, expression morphing into one of disgust.

"Do you really think that low of me?"

"I'm not going to answer that"

She rolls her eyes, grip loosening against the railing behind her.

"Well, if you're done with this absolutely scintillating conversation, then I'm leaving. Curfew's in fifteen minutes, and I'd rather not be caught out of bed by Filch-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know" replies Draco, resisting the urge to roll his eyes, "Wouldn't want to tarnish the goody-two-shoes image you have going on."

She gives him a sarcastic grin.

"I see you've finally caught on"

"Whatever"

"Oh, and Malfoy?" she questions, in a faux sweet voice.

Maya Rajesh steps closer to him for a brief second. At this proximity, he's able to smell her pomegranate shampoo, see the dark tint of black in her navy eyes that makes her look, if only for a moment, like a threat.