Chapter Fifty-One

July 2016

"THE CUP'S IN THE TAROT CARDS, "

"What?" Maya splutters, confused.

"The tarot cards, " Clary repeats, pacing along the living room, "My mom, she must have painted them years ago, but the Mortal Cup has to be hidden inside the Ace of Cups. The card looks exactly like it."

Jace & Magnus give each other a pointed look, Clary narrowing her eyes, "Wait, why aren't you guys happy about this? All we have to do is find . . . Dot, " Her face falls, "Oh, "

"If Dot had the cards when she was taken, we don't have much time, " Jace sighs, his voice grave, "If Valentine gets his hands on the Cup—"

"We know, " Magnus interrupts him, "If Valentine started creating Shadowhunters or gained control of demons, it'd be like Beyoncé riding on a dinosaur through Times Square, " He raises his eyebrows for dramatic effect, "People would notice."

"But he can control demons, " Clary protests, "I've seen it."

"Mmm, paying off a few demons is easy, " Magnus shrugs, "Especially since they rarely survive long enough to collect."

"Still waiting on Valentine's thank-you card, " Jace grumbles.

"Opening the gates of hell, however, " Magnus sighs, "requires much more scheming than Valentine is required to put in, "

Then, Luke walks into the room. He's changed into Magnus's clothes - a simple grey t-shirt and sweatpants, but the bandages still peek out from the edges of his clothes. Thankfully, there's much more color in his face than before, "Valentine doesn't have the cards. I do. They're in my desk back at the precinct. When Clary went missing, I went to the loft and I cleared everything out, 'cause I didn't want the Circle to track her, "

"That's great!" Clary's face lights up, "This should be easy."

"That's what General Custer said, " Magnus's tone is skeptical.

"Magnus is right, " Luke sighs, "Valentine has spies everywhere, even in the NYPD. We have to be discreet,"

"The NYPD? Really?" Maya scoffs, "What, does he need his parking tickets paid off or something?" Magnus snorts.

"Discreet? " Clary questions, giving Luke a quick once-over, "You look like something out of The Mummy movie."

"We'll go in the morning. Werewolf healing, remember?" Luke rolls his eyes, but there's a hint of a smile on the corner of his mouth, "This is nothing a couple of hours of beauty sleep can't fix. Especially you, kid, " He gives Maya a concerned look, "You look like you need it, "

"Gee, thanks, " Maya rolls her eyes, as Jace snickers under his breath, "I feel extremely flattered, "

"Aren't you Nandini's kid or something?" The werewolf's brows furrow, "What's got you mixed up with Shadowhunters?"

"Being Magnus's goddaughter, " Maya sighs, "Also my complete lack of common sense, but that's a story for another time, "

"In any case, " Magnus butts in, "I agree with Lucian. I think it's time for all of us to hit the metaphorical hay. I'll wake you up around 10, "

"But-" Clary starts.

"No," Magnus holds up a finger as Maya opens her mouth, "Maya, as much as I'd love to see you and Clary cooperating, both of you need to sleep, " He shudders at Maya's appearance, "You look like a pickup truck dragged you a swamp, "

"You don't exactly look great yourself, " Maya scoffs.

"You're right, I don't look great. I look divine," Magnus sighs, "But you all, on the other hand, need a few hours of rest to look even remotely human, "