Chapter Fifty-Nine

August 2016

"YOU'RE BEING AN ASSHOLE, Y'KNOW?"

"Diana, language!—" Narcissa hisses, furiously looking around Madam Malkin's, "For Merlin's sake, we're in public—"

"Yeah, well thanks to our favourite bald jackass, this shop is empty!!" Diana's tone drips with sarcasm as she dramatically whirls around, "See? Not a soul in sight!"

"How dare you?!" Their mother gasps, her face turning white, then livid, "You — you little — "

"Mum." Draco places a cautious hand on his mother's shoulder, gently pulling her back, "It's alright." He gestures to a pretty rack of shimmering gowns near them, "Why don't you go look through the latest collection? You've always loved La Perle Noire."

"One of these days . . " Narcissa's face twists in anger before she stalks off, leaving him and Diana standing next to a rack of dark green robes.

"What are you doing?!" Draco snaps as soon as his mother's out of earshot, "You've been antagonizing her ever since you got back."

"Oh, I don't know, maybe because the first thing Mother Dearest decided to do was shriek at me about spending the summer at a 'Blood Traitor's' house?" His sister gesticulates with her fingers, rolling her eyes. There's color in her cheeks for the first time in a while, and although he could do without the purple streaks running through her hair, Draco's heart squeezes a little as he looks at her. For once, he's done the right thing.

"You should know better than to provoke her at a time like this." Draco presses, running a frustrated hand through her hair, "Especially at a time like this."

"And what, dear brother, are you doing at a time like this?" Diana fires back.

There's a moment of uncomfortable silence before Draco sighs, "You know I can't tell you that."

"Is that why you tried to sneak out here on your own today?" Diana scoffs, "To keep us all in the dark?"

"The dark is a lot safer than being out here." Draco snaps. He laughs, bitterly, his voice hushed, "Half the shops are closed — the other half's owners have mysteriously vanished on their own. Do you think I want you to suffer the same fate?"

"You act like I don't know how to defend myself." Diana snaps, "Snape taught both of us, you know—"

"I don't give a flying fuck about what he thinks." Draco cuts her off, "What I think you should do is stay out of this mess and shack up with your girlfr—"

"She is not my girlfriend!!" Diana claps a hand over his mouth before he can finish, her cheeks bright red with embarrassment, "Keep your voice down, will you?"

"Who's being a nuisance now?" Draco raises a pointed eyebrow in her direction, gently pushing her hand away.

"Trou du cul!" Diana snaps, and Draco has to resist the urge to snicker at the mortified expression on her face.

Narcissa's shock echoes from the other side of the room, "DIANA!!—"

"If we're talking about girlfriends, " A mischievous gleam lights up his sister's emerald eyes, "Are you still mad that she didn't pick up yesterday?"

Something stings in his chest as Draco groans, "When are you ever going to let that go?"

"You should have seen your face." Diana snickers, impishly grinning up at him, "You looked like a kicked puppy."