Chapter Sixty-Two

September 2016

"IS THIS SUPPOSED TO TAKE THIS LONG?" Luna's suspicious voice floats up from between her knees.

"Not if you don't move every five freaking seconds, " Diana huffs, fingering the soft, wavy strands of the other girl's hair. The french braided pattern weaves across her head like a white-blonde waterfall, falling down her other shoulder in a single, glossy plait. Or at least, it was — until Luna shifts yet again and causes the braid to slip out of Diana's hands entirely. Diana groans in frustration, placing her head in her hands yet again, "What did I just say?"

"Not to move." Luna's ears turn red.

"And what did you do?" Diana raises a presumptuous eyebrow.

"Move." Luna lets out a frustrated breath, "My back hurts from sitting on the floor."

"Screw the braid, " Diana groans, falling back on her bed. Luna clambers over next to her on the bed, propping herself up on her elbows next to Diana. The Hufflepuff sighs, placing her face in her hands, "I don't have the attention span for this."

"You don't have the attention span for most things." Luna huffs, a frustrated pout on her lips.

Diana smacks her arm with indignation, "Hey! Rude."

"Am I wrong?" Luna raises a knowing eyebrow.

"I do pay attention to important things." Diana grumbles, running a hand through her hair.

"Like me, yes." Luna smirks, and Diana's cheeks redden as she presses her lips together.

"Shut up." She mumbles under her breath, "You're not a thing."

"Well, philosophy says that everything tangible is a thing, so I digress—" Luna starts, loftily.

"Was this a very elaborate attempt to get me to compliment you?" Diana raises a suspicious eyebrow.

"Did it work?" Luna's eyes turn round with faux-innocence.

"And here we thought that I was supposed to be the Slytherin." Diana tuts, feigning disapproval, "I've been a bad influence on you, Lovegood."

"Or maybe you've just fallen under my spell." Luna wiggles her fingers suggestively.

Diana rolls her eyes, "As if you would ever hex me."

"Who said anything about hexes?" Luna waves her hands over her face, dramatically fluttering her eyelashes, "Maybe I bewitched you with my spellbinding beauty."

"How incredibly humble of you, " Diana's voice drips with sarcasm.

"You know, Diana, for someone who claims not to be entranced by me, you sure spend a lot of time around me." Luna raises an accusing eyebrow, "Like, all of this summer, we've been joined at the hip."

"Are you complaining?" Diana smirks.

"Obviously not." Now it's Luna's turn to blush as Diana sighs, "You're not bad company, with your multicolored hair, your amazing cooking skills— hey! — " Luna ducks as Diana aims a pillow at her head, " — and of course, your endless bank account."

"I knew it!" Diana groans, falling onto the bed as she clutches her heart in fake despair, "How could you? You were after gold this entire time."

"There there." Luna pats her shoulder, "It's not like you'll miss any."

"Gold-digger, " Diana huffs, feigning frustration, "I should've known that you weren't just looking for Flitterblooms."