Chapter Forty-Seven

July 2016

THEIR NEXT LEAD COMES SURPRISINGLY QUICKLY (in the form of one of Clary's visions) Magnus is the one who took Clary's memories.

'He's over 300 years old, ' Hodge explains, the next morning — a portrait of Magnus in a 18th-century style ruffled collar flickers across the control room screen — 'And, as you can see . .. . ' — a series of photos blip across the screen, showing the warlock surrounded by beautiful people and exotic locales — 'He's not exactly shied away from the pleasures of every century. His tastes are both exquisite... ' — Maya snorts as she sees a picture of him sitting on a gilded throne in Ancient Egypt, looking very pleased with himself as a pharaoh's headdress rests on his head — 'and quite excessive.'

'He looks like the Downworld's David Guetta . . . ' Clary mutters.

'Guetta's a vampire, ' Isabelle quips, chuckling at the shocked expression on her face, 'Ever seen him in the daylight?

'Can you two focus?' Alec sighs, rolling his eyes in annoyance, 'This is not a joke.'

'Someone needs to get slayed, ' His sister mutters under her breath, scowling.

'Alec's right, ' Hodge states he presses the remote once, turning off the screen, 'Now, Magnus is one of the most powerful warlocks I've ever known. He has a deep mistrust of Shadowhunters — ' Hodge's eyes flit to Maya for a split second, ' except Nandini, of course,'

'Who's Nandini?' Clary questions, looking at Maya with confusion.

'My mom, ' Maya replies, curtly. She wants to give the redhead as little information about her life as possible but the bewildered look on Clary's face forces her to explain further, 'Magnus is my godfather he took my mom under his wing after we came here from England, '

She turns back to Hodge, 'Then why did he help my mom remove my memories? Isn't she a Shadowhunter?'

'Yes, one of the best, ' Hodge's lips turn up in a wistful smile before his tone becomes resolute, 'But 'help' might not be the most accurate word. Now, did Magnus provide a service for Jocelyn? Perhaps. But more than likely, your mother paid Magnus handsomely for his magic, '

'Warlocks are expensive for good reason, ' Maya rolls her eyes. Her stomach contracts in fear, 'But Valentine's been going after all the warlocks I haven't been able to reach Magnus for days. How're we even going to talk to him?'

'We don't, ' Jace states, suddenly, his eyes lighting up with an idea, 'Magnus finds us.'

'That's bullshit' Maya snaps, 'There are already so many people after her - ' — Her eyes flit to Clary — 'We can't risk accidentally luring Circle Members there '

'Which is why we're going to set up a meeting, ' Jace interjects, flashing her a pointed look, 'Somewhere protected . . . '

'I may know a place, ' Isabelle starts, suddenly. She sets her expensive leather bag down on the table, rummaging through until she pulls out an envelope edged with gold leaf, tossing it to Maya, who immediately rips it open, 'There's a VIP Downworld event happening in SoHo tonight, '

Jace peers over Maya's shoulder, a slow grin spreading across his face, 'A Downworld rave. Nice, Izzy.'

'Where'd you even get that?' Alec questions, his eyes narrowing suspiciously at his sister.

'A . . . friend, ' Izzy changes the subject a little too quickly, her fingers playing with the strap of her bag, 'From what I hear, Magnus likes to party.'