Chapter Eleven

𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟒

NEEDLESS TO SAY, HARRY AND RON'S FRIENDSHIP IS NOW MENDED.

The three of them walk to the Owlery that evening so that Harry can send Sirius a letter telling him that he's managed to get past his dragon unscathed. On the way, Harry fills Ron & Maya in on everything Sirius told him about Karkaroff. Though shocked at first to hear that Karkaroff had been a Death Eater, by the time they entered the Owlery Ron was saying that they ought to have suspected it all along.

"Fits, doesn't it?" he says. "Remember what Malfoy said on the train, about his dad being friends with Karkaroff? Now we know where they knew each other. They were probably running around in masks together at the World Cup. . . . I'll tell you one thing, though, Harry, if it was Karkaroff who put your name in the goblet, he's going to be feeling really stupid now, isn't he? Didn't work, did it? You only got a scratch! Come here — I'll do it —"

Maya bites her lip, leaning against the railing as she sinks deeper into thought about what she witnessed a few hours ago. Pigwidgeon is so overexcited at the idea of delivery, he's flying around and around Harry's head, hooting incessantly. Ron snatches Pigwidgeon out of the air and holds him still while Harry attaches the letter to his leg.

"There's no way any of the other tasks are going to be that dangerous, how could they be?" Ron goes on as he carried Pigwidgeon to the window. "You know what? I reckon you could win this tournament, Harry, I'm serious."

Maya knows that Ron is only saying this to make up for his behavior of the last few weeks, but Harry appreciates it all the same. Hermione, however, leans against the Owlery wall, folds her arms, and frowns at Ron.

"Harry's got a long way to go before he finishes this tournament," she says, seriously. "If that was the first task, I hate to think what's coming next."

"Right little ray of sunshine, aren't you?" says Ron. "You and Professor Trelawney should get together sometime."

Hermione rolls her as Ron throws Pigwidgeon out of the window. Pigwidgeon plummets twelve feet before managing to pull himself back up again; the letter attached to his leg is much longer and heavier than usual — Harry clearly hasn't been able to resist giving Sirius a blow-by-blow account of exactly how he swerved, circled, and dodged the Horntail. They watch Pigwidgeon disappear into the darkness, and then Ron speaks.

"You okay, Maya?" he questions, concerned, "You've been awfully quiet all evening"

"I'm fine" replies Maya, managing a weak smile, "I'm just a bit tired, I guess. It's been a long day"

"Tell me about it" replies Harry, slinging an arm over Ron's shoulder. Maya chuckles at the mention of their camaraderie but feels Hermione's questioning look. Her smile falls, and she rubs her arms, the cold starting to get to her.

"This came for you" Diana replies, as soon as the girls get back to their dormitory. Hermione sheds her coat, swapping out her slightly heeled ankle boots for a pair of Uggs. The blonde girl hands Maya a letter, stamp haphazardly stuck on. Her name is scripted in familiar, left-slanted handwriting, the rose-and-sandalwood smelling parchment sending a warm feeling through her chest.

Hermione frowns as Maya curls up on the bed, taking off her flats and placing them on the floor.

"Aren't you coming down to the party?" she questions, frowning, as Diana joins her, looking lovely in a sleeveless dress of dark red.

"In a little bit, I just need some time to relax" replies Maya, detachedly, fingers sliding open the flap of the envelope of the letter as they leave.