Chapter Twenty-Three

𝕾𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟓

"GET OUT!!" Maya shrieks, covering her naked body with the bubbles around her. They do almost nothing to hide her nakedness, simply dissolving and fizzling on her skin.

Malfoy, to her surprise, looks more uncomfortable than curious. Maya shifts, crossing her arms over her chest in an attempt to cover herself up, cheeks aflame with pure horror. Really? Just when she finally felt relaxed ( for the first time in months, mind you ) he had to walk in?

Magnus always told her that nothing happens without a reason, that the Angels work in mysterious days, their motives not to be questioned without repercussions. But she can't help but wonder how exactly their 'unquestionable' reasoning led to this. What use does standing naked in front of Draco Malfoy do? Other than one she would very much like not to think about . . . .

"You aren't even supposed to be here!" he retorts, miffed; Maya sees his eyes trace down the thin white scar going across her collarbone, "It's called the Prefect's bathroom for a reason, "

"Oh, yeah?" yells Maya, still very red in the face; screaming, "Well I was here first, and I'm stark naked, so leave, Malfoy!!"

"Oh, calm down, " He rolls his eyes, much to Maya's indignation, "I'm sure we can both use this bathroom without making things weird, "

"They already are, " Maya isn't sure whether she's referring to this situation or the past, protectively wrapping her arms around herself, "Go away, otherwise I'll throw you out myself!"

He has the audacity to look amused.

"I'd like to see you try"

Maya does not know what comes over her in the next few minutes.

Her anger is suddenly amplified by ten. How dare he . . . . . how dare he stand there and look so smug at putting her down?! After what he did to her, what he allowed to be done to her, how dare he stand there and pretend that they're just bickering children again?! A hot rush of fury envelops her, and suddenly Maya wants to scream from beneath her gritted teeth. She feels as though she's going to explode with rage.

What does explode, however, is her magic. Unrestrained for once, the lines beneath her powers and her emotions begin to blur in an unsettling way, and Maya soon realizes that the burning sensation behind her eyes isn't because of the urge to tear up. It rapidly spreads down her face, over her chest and collarbones, down her arms, until it feels like molten lava has been injected underneath her skin. The pain is so sudden, smoldering with such intensity that the world around her stops spinning for a second.

Suddenly, the magic rips away from her, Maya screaming as it blows apart the ceramic taps around her. Her body feels like it's on fire, the sheer intensity of the magic scorching the tender nerves underneath her skin. Porcelain flies everywhere, some of the shards barely missing Maya. She can't make out where Malfoy is anymore; Maya rapidly ducks underwater to avoid getting hit by the wreckage that's currently flying around the room. She keeps her ears open, listening to the telltale echo of breaking glass and pipes. Her heart hammers violently in her chest, squeezing tight with dread and fear.

What has she done?

As far as she can remember, Maya's never lost control like this before. She knows how to control her powers; hell, she's spent practically her entire life learning to perfect her craft. Warlock magic is incredibly powerful, especially when rooted in demonic energy. In the wrong hands, it could wreak destructive havoc. Never let your emotions mix with your magic. It's one of the cardinal rules you're expected to follow when you have abilities like hers.

Apparently, all common sense has slipped her mind today.

Finally, when she hears the noises subside, Maya quietly resurfaces, the burning in her lungs subsiding as she takes a large inhale. Her skin still tingles with the aftershocks of the accident; Maya swears she sees her fingertips sparking purple and blue. But that's nothing compared to the sight in front of her.

In fact, the damage isn't even that bad. Sure, some of the taps are gone, broken off from their places on the side of the tub, and the marble is chipped here and there. But at least there was no earthquake triggered by her momentary lapse of judgment ( yes, those happen ). Nothing's collapsed, no windows have been blown apart, no pillars knocked over. In fact, it looks relatively tame compared to what could have happened.

The real damage, however, has been done to the boy who had the misfortune to walk in on her moments prior. Maya gapes at him in shock for a few seconds; she doesn't know how to believe what's just happened.

Draco Malfoy is covered ―― and she means covered ―― in almost five different types of foam from the bubble bath. There's lilac bubbles fizzing in his hair, thick white froth splattering some of his face, blue foam covering most of his chest, and other types of bath product that she doesn't have the brain cells to name at this moment. All she knows is that he looks terrified ―― of her or the explosion, she can't tell ―― grey eyes big and wide with fear. She sees him drop the towel he was holding moments prior, backing away with his hands outstretched in front of him.

" I'll ―― " he stammers, stumbling over his words; Maya feels agonizing guilt wash over her with how scared he looks, "I'm so sorry ―― I'll ―― I'm just gonna ―― "

"Malfoy ―― " Maya stutters out, her hand stretching out to tell him to wait, "I ―― "

"I'll go ―― d-don't worry, " he stammers out, unlocking the door behind him and literally bolting away. Maya hears his footsteps running a mad dash down the corridor, disappearing out of sight after a few moments.

Maya floats there for a few moments, rooted to the spot, half-shocked, half-terrified. Her brain refuses to process anything, psyche running around in circles over one statement that constantly replays itself in her head.

What the fuck has she just done?

And how the fuck is she going to deal with the aftermath?

srry for the length, been going through some stuff recently and thought this was enough. promise the next chapters will be longer <3