Chapter Fifty-Seven

tw: graphic violence at the end. do not read if you're easily triggered.

August 2016

"SHOULD WE REALLY BE GETTING COFFEE INSTEAD OF GOING THROUGH THE ARCHIVES?" Jace mutters, side-eyeing Maya's iced matcha latte as she takes a long sip.

"Clary was the one who told us to take a break, " Izzy rolls her eyes, bumping Maya's shoulder as they walk along the curb. Her lips close around the straw to her salted caramel frappe before she speaks again, "We've been working since three in the morning. It's only fair that we caffeinate ourselves as a reward."

"I highly doubt that raiding the Starbucks across the street was a wise use of our time." Alec grumbles behind them, holding Clary's Americano in one hand as he chugs his cold brew with the other, shuddering in disgust as he looks at their drinks, "Besides, that's not even coffee."

"You mean it's not depressing coffee." Jace pointedly takes a sip of his java chip frappucino, and Maya snickers, "Couldn't you have picked something more . . . festive?"

"To celebrate the fact that I came out in front of every single Shadowhunter we know?" Alec raises a cool eyebrow at him.

"No, to prove that you're not an actual psychopath." Maya scoffs, eyeing the drink in his hands with distaste.

"No cream, no sugar." Izzy wrinkles her nose at him, "What is wrong with you?"

"It's a sophisticated choice, Izzy." Alec haughtily rolls his eyes at them, "It means that I am simply more mature than you children—"

His foot catches onto the edge of the curve and Alec tumbles forward, Jace immediately lunging forward to catch him before he faceplants onto the sidewalk, grabbing Clary's drink before it can fly out of his hands, "Easy there, buddy." Jace mutters, as he rights his parabatai to his feet.

"Yes, Alec, your maturity is astounding." Maya's tone drips with sarcasm as Izzy.

"Morons." Alec mutters, brushing the dust off of his shirt, "Like any of you haven't fallen before."

"More like fell for a certain someone— ow!!" Jace yelps, as Alec elbows him directly in the ribs, "What gives, man?"

"Listen, I appreciate your support." Alec rolls his eyes, as they walk back through the doors of the Institute, "But are you guys ever going to let this incident go?"

"Never." Maya and Izzy high-five in unison.

"Speaking of support." Jace's face changes as Maya catches sight of Robert and Maryse standing near one of the monitors, "Your number one fans just showed up."

"Ah." Alec sucks in a sharp breath at the sight of his parents. He sighs, handing Jace his coffee, "Hold that for me, will you?"

"What?—" Jace sputters, as his parabatai walks away, Izzy following him. He looks at Maya in bewilderment, "Has he always been like this?"

"I think being with Magnus is loosening him up." Maya observes. She gives Jace a pointed look, "Want to go visit Clary in the hospital wing and pretend we can't hear their bickering?"

"You do that." Jace's jaw tightens at the mention of his apparent sister, "I'm uh — going to go catch up on laundry."

"Since when did you know how to use a washing machine?" Maya scoffs.

"Since five minutes ago." Jace shoves his phone in his pocket, avoiding her eyes, "Have fun."

"Wait." Maya grabs his forearm before he can leave. She meets his eyes, "You can't avoid her forever."