Chapter Ten

𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟒

THE DAY OF THE FIRST TASK comes sooner than expected.

Hermione and her wish a pale-looking Harry good luck as they walk down to the area where they'll watch the event. Diana joins them, her canary yellow scarf bright against the grim backdrop of the sky behind them, blonde curls cheerfully bouncing on her shoulders. Maya's chest is tight with anxiety, and her mouth is pressed together in a thin line at what's to come. Hermione bears the same expression if only a little less stressed, considering Diana's suspicion at both of their less-than-positive moods.

"Lighten up, you two!" she replies, cheerfully, nudging their shoulders, oblivious to what she hasn't witnessed yet. Maya and Hermione have decided to keep their knowledge to themselves, for fearing of it getting into the wrong hands. She feels wrong about keeping it from the one person who she actually trusts - not that there's anything wrong with them, but they're a little judgemental when it comes to her decisions.

It seems like hours before Cedric emerges from the tent (after the three of them take their seats in the stands), his yellow-and-black robes billowing in the wind. He's visibly nervous, and her heart drops into her stomach as she realizes that he's facing the Swedish-short snout. The crowd roars and the deafening sound is enough to lapse Maya into silence.

She can't quite recall how exactly the first three champions make it through their tasks, memories distorted and blurred with anxiety. The smell of singed flesh finally jolts her out of her reverie, Diana and her both coughing as the smoke fills their lungs. Hermione is absorbed in "Hogwarts: A History", as usual, only looking up when Harry's name is called.

Oh bloody hell.

His face pales as he sees the crowd, some cheering, some leering at him, Maya part of the former group. She tries to shoot him a reassuring look, but it's proven difficult, given that he's standing with his back to her. And there/s the Horntail, at the other end of the enclosure, crouched low over her clutch of eggs, her wings half-furled, her evil, yellow eyes upon him, a monstrous, scaly, black lizard, thrashing her spiked tail, leaving yard-long gouge marks in the hard ground. The crowd's making a great deal of noise, but whether friendly or not, it's certainly not helping with his nervousness.

His hand shakes as he raises his wand.

"Accio Firebolt!" he shouts.

There's a deafening silence as everyone waits in anticipation.

And then she hears it, speeding through the air behind Harry; he turns and sees his Firebolt hurtling toward him around the edge
of the woods, soaring into the enclosure, and stopping dead in midair beside him, waiting for him to mount. The crowd's mak-
ing even more noise. . . . Bagman is shouting something . . . but Harry looks as though he's not listening at all.

He swings his leg over the broom and kicks off from the ground. Maya watches intently, wondering what on earth he's doing as Harry's figure disappears into the clouds

Is he trying to run for it?

Suddenly, he dives. The Horntail's head follows him; Maya inhales sharply as he pulls out of the dive just in time; a jet of fire has been released exactly where he would have been had he not swerved away.

"Great Scott, he can fly!" yells Bagman as the crowd shrieks and gasps. "Are you watching this, Mr. Krum?"

Harry soars higher in a circle; the Horntail is still following his progress; its head revolving on its long neck — if he keeps this
up, it'll be nicely dizzy — but better not push it too long, or it'd be breathing fire again —