Chapter Thirteen

𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟒

JET LAG REALLY IS A BITCH

The sky is dark as the five of them congregate in the kitchen, the digital timer on the oven reading 4:05 am. Neither Maya nor Diana can go to sleep, because their internal clocks are still on UK time and haven't adjusted to the hustle and bustle of New York yet. Nandini is at the Institute, working her last night shift before the holidays officially start, and Magnus is in Paris, trying to buy a particular brand of red wine that they enjoy every Christmas — excluding Maya, of course, not as they'd ever let her drink in front of them. Nandini has trusted Alec — since he's the "legal adult" out of the three of them — to make sure that the "kids" (as she likes to call them) don't get into any trouble.

Then again, he's probably the most innocent out of the five of them.

"This is the least responsible thing we could be doing," proclaims Alec, haughtily, Maya stifling a laugh at the sheer amount of sprinkles and whipped cream topping his hot chocolate, similar to the "fancy" kind she used to have from Starbucks as a six-year-old. His eyes are bright, for once, a merry redness staining the pale skin from the cozy atmosphere around them.

"Says you" she retorts, gesturing to the drink in his hand. Alec rolls his eyes, feigning nonchalance at being caught in his hypocrisy red-handed.

"How the fuck is dark chocolate different from white?" exclaims Jace, looking between the two canisters of hot chocolate mix with something that resembles bewilderment. Maya's eyes widen slightly with shock before she remembers that it's Jace whose mouth the words came out of. Even the densest comments from him wouldn't surprise her, after having known the boy practically all her life.

"It's in the name, dumbass" replies Izzy, smacking the back of his head. Diana chuckles lightly, his eyes softly flitting to her as the lilting sound escapes her lips. For a moment, something in his golden eyes softens, Maya, frowning, having never seen that look on his face before. A soft smile threatens to make its way onto his lips, but it vanishes the moment Diana's aquamarine orbs flit to him, a pink tint appearing on Jace's cheekbones as he becomes very interested in the tiled backsplash of the kitchen walls.

Sweet Circe, if he's crushing on her best friend-

"So how do you know Maya?" questions Alec, now sporting a foam mustache. Diana fights a laugh but manages to answer nonetheless.

"Well, we share the same dorm, and ever since I got sorted into Hufflepuff, Maya's kind of taken me under her wing" she replies, sweetly, making a surprised grin appear on Isabelle's face.

"Interesting..." replies Isabelle, making Diana chuckle, "Not that it's a bad thing, it's just that Maya's usually pretty shy when it comes to making friends-"

"I am not shy!" contradicts Maya, haughtily, scoffing as everyone around her bursts into snickers.

"Sure, like I didn't have to drag you out of your room so you could attend your own birthday party" Isabelle snorts.

"Don't forget the time Mr. Diaz almost fell out of his chair when Maya finally decided to speak up in class" reminisces Alec, chuckling.

"Or the time she hid in the library and read all day because she didn't want to admit that she was scared of Aline" recounts Jace, with a smirk.

Maya rolls her eyes at their immaturity, Diana trying to control her laughter but failing miserably.

"Traitor..." she mutters, resentfully, shooting a scorned look in Diana's direction. Diana merely rolls her eyes, shrugging nonchalantly.