Chapter Thirty-Five

i don't usually do song recs but for this chapter i highly, highly, recommend listening to strangers by halsey!! it fits the mood perfectly.

𝕵𝖆𝖓𝖚𝖆𝖗𝖞 2016

DIANA IS CURRENTLY VERY ANGRY AT HERSELF.

It was a hard decision, convincing Narcissa to let her spend the break with the Lovegoods, of all people. Blood traitors, that's what she calls them, self-serving scum. Her relationship with her mother is akin to brittle bones. The woman was already furious enough about her cotton-candy hair when she came to pick her up at King's Cross, rambling on about how she looked like a muggle, of all things. Why don't you just go and kill me already?! Narcissa had shrieked, almost tearing her own silvery-blonde hair out with the roots, I can't believe this . . . where did my little girl go?!

The little girl you dressed up like your own personal plaything?! Diana had screamed, inside her head, The little girl your husband dragged by the hair whenever she did anything wrong?! The little girl you tried to mold into what you wanted instead of caring about her well-being?! She died a long time ago, mom-

But instead, as usual, Diana had stayed silent. It felt better to stay silent down than let out the raging cacophony inside her head. Submission has been ingrained into her ever since she was a small child, taught to obey instead of question. But after all these years, keeping your head down gets a little tiring and Diana feels a deep sense of shame lying there, on Luna's bed, the soft sound of the fan above them echoing throughout the room.

Goddamnit, she should've said something.

"If you're going to solve puzzles in your head while I'm next to you, the least you could do is include me in them, "

The words make her blush and embarrassment settle in her stomach. Diana turns to face Luna, who's facing her whilst lying on her side. She looks beautiful -- more beautiful than Diana thought someone could ever look before. The pale blue silk of her pajamas suit her fair skin and make her protuberant eyes sparkle in a way that's making Diana's stomach flip over.

She suddenly feels inadequate in her oversized band tee that's stolen from her older brother (well he "lost" it and never bothered to realize that their clothes had been mixed up by the elves), looking like a ratty old Cleansweep next to a fancy Nimbus 2005, but the feelings go away as soon as Luna's hand reaches out and brushes a strand of hair away from her face, a jolt going down her spine at the contact.

"What're you even thinking about that's so important?" Luna questions, now back to lightly stroking her hair, "You seemed so far off, "

"I-I don't know, " Diana replies, bottom lip catching beneath her teeth, suddenly finding it very hard to concentrate, "Just about . . . . my mum. We had an argument before I came here and and I feel bad for ending things on a shitty note, "

"Do you want to talk about it?" asks Luna, her voice soft and serene. Something about it is very reassuring, Diana notes, as she allows herself to fall into a comfortable haze.

"Not really, " mutters Diana, "I don't really want to think about my family right now, "

"That's okay, " replies Luna, kindly, "But just know that if you do decide to say anything, I'm never going to judge you for it, "

"T-thanks Luna, " Diana stammers, feeling embarrassed at the sudden thought that flits through her head. The covers beneath her are so warm and soft, and with the warm weight of Luna pressed next to her, one can't help but think . . .