Chapter Forty-Four

July 2016

WAITING FOR JACE TO COME BACK IS AGONIZING.

Tessa is furious at them. 'Why can't Alec or Isabelle just drive you home?!' she exclaims, as Maya paces across the debriefing room floor, still in her from the club, 'If you stay there, things could get very ugly — I don't want you to get involved in Shadowhunter politics, '

'I'm already involved, Tessa, ' Maya sighs; Alec shoots her a look of pity, 'I went on the mission, I killed some demons, I let . . . that girl . . . run away. There's no way I can leave now, not until we figure out what's going on, '

'I can't believe this, ' The older woman fumes, as Isabelle shoots her a look of pity, lying down on a nearby couch, 'You're barely even a month out of school, and already in trouble?!'

'I'm not in trouble, ' Maya scoffs, 'Izzy and Jace tried to get me out of this, but it was impossible — either I go with them and we put a stop to the death of innocent mundanes, or they fail and have to start over from scratch again. Besides, Magnus's head would have been on the line if the Clave found out what was happening at his club, '

'So you decided to put yours there instead?'

'It's not that simple, ' Her tone turns into one of annoyance, 'Look, can we have this conversation later?'

'I don't like this . . I don't like this at all, ' Tessa mutters, darkly, 'Did you at least call your mother? She's probably worried sick, '

'I tried . . . she's not picking up, ' Maya sighs, rubbing her temples to quell the ache inside, 'I texted Magnus to let him know that I'm safe . . . but I'm most probably staying the night, '

Maya hears her older sister sigh in distaste, 'Do you at least have clothes there?'

'I think I have a pair of joggers in my locker, ' Maya answers, 'And before you ask — yes, my anxiety meds are in my bag, '

Tessa lets out an audible sigh of relief, 'Fine. You can stay. Just be careful, alright? The last thing I want is for something to happen to you, '

'My middle name is careful, Tess, ' Maya replies, as her sister lets out a disbelieving snort, 'Anyway, I have to go. Love you, '

'Love you too, angel, ' She hangs up the phone.

Maya leans her head against the wall, groaning as the ache in her temples worsens. She sighs, running her hands through her hair, and starts to unbuckle those dastardly heels from her feet.

This clearly isn't going well.

Alec walks in, throwing Isabelle a sandwich. He offers Maya one, but she declines, the contents of her stomach churning from anxiety.

'How'd it go?' he questions, unwrapping the sandwich from the foil and taking a bite.

'Well . . . Tessa's mad, ' Maya exhales, guilt creeping into her chest, 'But she understands, '

'I just don't get it . . . ' Isabelle mutters, from her position on the couch, 'How was she there? We saw her twice in the same day— '

'Wait, what?' Alec looks bewildered as he looks between them, 'Is there something I'm missing?'

Maya explains, 'Izzy almost ran over the redhead and her boyfriend, on the way to work this morning, '

Alec scoffs, 'And she conveniently ended up at Pandemonium . . . that can't be a coincidence . . . right?'