Chapter Eight

𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟒

STRANGELY, MOODY NEVER PUNISHES HER.

If anything, he seems to be intrigued. Her little stunt in class may have shattered the image she wanted to project to her classmates, but she's earned the respect of her professor - at least, that's what Maya thinks. He doesn't really bother her during classes anymore, just watches her with a certain look in his eye that she can't place.

She doesn't know whether to be on edge or act normal.

Maya doesn't usually like attention unless it's from certain people, namely her close friends and family, but lo and behold, look what she did to herself. Now everyone whispers about her in the halls, eyes darting away as soon as she realizes that they've noticed. Most of them are just odd, curious mutterings about who she is, where she's from. But some of them hit where it hurts, especially from Pansy Parkinson and the Slytherin girls. She tries to ignore the looks they give her, the venom that spews from their lips about her single, spinster mother - thankfully, they're unaware of the fact that she's a Shadowhunter.

Anyway, that's the last thing that matters to her right now.

Point being, Maya's procrastinated again, this time, with a Potions essay. She's always tried to stay on top of her game when it comes to her schoolwork, usually managing to balance school and her social life decently. But now, with this prophecy thing, Malfoy, and all that drama with Harry being the fourth champion, her mind has been elsewhere recently.

Get your priorities straight, she tells herself, sternly, School comes first, always.

"Bloody hell," mutters Diana, sliding into the seat next to her, "It's like they have three brain cells"

"Who?", questions Maya, not looking up from her essay. She dips her quill into the ink as Diana takes out some of her books, returning it to her parchment just as a shrill, high-pitched giggle rings throughout the room.

Diana growls in frustration, snapping the quill in her hand as she sighs.

"I take it Viktor Krum's decided to pay the library a visit, then?"

She spots the student in question drifting through a stack of books near the Herbology section. A gaggle of sixth and fourth years hover anear him, cheeks flushed as unintelligible chatter pours from their lips. One of them is reapplying copious amounts of glossy pink lipstick - the kind that Maya hates because of how easily it smears - her Bulgaria sweater wrapped enticingly around her narrow hips.

"They're everywhere" complains the blonde, rifling through her Arithmancy textbook, "I heard that Tracey Davies was planning to slip him a love potion"

"How do they even find him attractive?" mutters Maya, resting her chin in the palm of her hand.

"You don't?"

"Ew, no. He looks like an overgrown eagle."

Diana snorts, managing to cover it up before Krum glances their way.

"If you don't mind me asking, what is your type, then?"

Maya raises her eyebrows, peering over her essay to meet the cerulean eyes of her friend.

"You mean if I prefer girls or boys?"

Diana blushes.

"Pretty much"

Maya sighs.

"Well, I haven't really......dated, but for now I'd say guys"

"Wait, you've never had a boyfriend?"