6 - The Sorting Ceremony

"Malfoy, Draco!"

Draco and Harry stared at each other before Harry whispered into Draco's ear.

"See you in Slytherin."

Draco smirked at Harry and swaggered forward.

The hat didn't even touch his head and instantly screamed, "SLYTHERIN!"

Draco's lips curled into a smug smirk as he went to join the Slytherin table, looking pleased with himself.

"Weasley, Ronald!" Professor McGonagall called.

The red-haired freckled boy nervously stepped forward and was sorted into Gryffindor. So were Neville Longbottom, Hermione Granger, Lavender Brown, Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, and what seemed like a hundred other students.

Harry was starting to lose his patience. What was taking so long? He was aching to know what House he'd be sorted into, not that he doubted that he'd be put in Slytherin. But sorting Draco first and Harry possibly last was just cruel in Harry's opinion.

Pansy Parkinson, Vincent Crabbe, Blaise Zabini, Gregory Goyle, Millicent Bulstrode, Theodore Nott, Daphne Greengrass, and many other first years were sorted into Slytherin.

Luna Lovegood was sorted into Ravenclaw, Justin Finch-Fletchley was sorted into Hufflepuff, and then, at last —

"Potter, Harry!"

"Finally," Harry blurted out and stepped forward with Salazar wrapped around his neck, whispers suddenly breaking out like hissing fire all over the hall.

"Potter, did she say?"

"The Harry Potter?"

"Do you think that snake's venomous?"

The last thing Harry saw before the hat dropped over his eyes was the hall full of people craning to get a good look at him. Next second he was looking at the black inside of the hat.

Harry was started to get irritated. The hat didn't even touch Draco's head and now it's sitting on Harry's, probably transferring everyone's dandruff onto his hair as it made its decision for way longer than Harry thought it should.

"Hmm," said a small voice in his ear. "Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind either. There's talent,  oh my goodness, yes — and a nice thirst to prove yourself, now that's interesting... Very cunning, and incredibly ambitious... You can be great, and Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, no doubt about that... Definitely a SLYTHERIN!"

Harry heard the hat shout the last word to the whole hall. He threw the hat off his head and let it land on the floor as he smugly strode toward the Slytherin table, so immensely pleased to be put in the House he wanted.

Draco got up and threw his arms around Harry, jumping up and down and forgetting about his pride.

"We got Potter! We got Potter!" Draco yelled as the other Slytherins cheered and welcomed Harry into their House.

Draco's lips briskly brushed against Harry's earlobe as he whispered, "You owe me a kiss," and sat back down, looking very pleased with himself.

Harry sat next to Draco, who began introducing him to the friends he'd already made.

"Potter, this is Parkinson. And that's Crabbe and Goyle. This is Zabini. Oh, and that's Greenflower."

"For the third time, it's Greengrass, you dimwit," a blonde girl snapped while laughing.

"Whatever. Greenflower it is. Everyone, this is Potter." Draco punctuated his sentence with the widest grin Harry's ever seen and threw an arm around Harry's shoulder as if presenting his pride and glory.

"No need to introduce me, Draco, everyone already knows my name," Harry joked as the sorting ceremony went on.

"Draco? Did you just call Malfoy 'Draco'?" Parkinson said with amusement.

"Yeah, why?" Harry replied.

"Already on a first name basis, huh?" Zabini added.

"Oh please, I call everyone by their first name," said Harry. "What are your first names?"

"I'm Pansy."

"Blaise."

"Daphne."

"Gregory."

"Vincent."

"Yeah, I'm not gonna remember any of that, but nice to meet you anyway," Harry replied, plucking a grape from a bunch and tossing it into the air.

Draco pushed Harry's head away with his cheek and opened his mouth, allowing the grape to fall into his instead. "Thanks, Potter," Draco said and chewed on the grape with a smirk on his face as Harry glared at him with a half smile.

"Look at these two," Pansy said with a sarcastically dreamy sigh. "Already getting cozy with each other."

"Next week, Potter will be putting the grape in Malfoy's mouth with his own fingers," Daphne added.

"Next month, Malfoy will be sucking Potter's fingers," Blaise said with a snicker.

"I'm pretty sure that's not what Malfoy's gonna be sucking by next month," said Pansy. "I mean, come on, by next month, he'll probably already be pregnant."