17 - Year Three... Already?

Harry and Draco did not talk during the rest of year one and the entire year two.

It wasn't just because of the whole Slytherin Seeker situation.

It had all come crashing and burning from that point, like a domino effect, and each time, things just got worse and worse.

While riding the Hogwarts Express for the third time, Harry could still vividly remember how it had all gone down.

He had just been appointed Slytherin Seeker by Severus Snape when Draco found out, got angry, and walked away from Harry.

Harry then went after Draco to apologize, but Draco had run away crying and had shut himself up in the dormitory, writing a letter to his father. Draco still remembered the letter he had written two years ago.

Father,

I'm so sorry. Please don't kill me when you read the next line.
I failed to be chosen as Slytherin Seeker. Harry Potter got the position.
I know you'll be disappointed and angry with me, even ashamed of me for being such an embarrassment.
I know I deserve to be punished for bringing you such humiliation with my failure.
Father, please, have mercy on me.
I'll try again next year. I'll train everyday. I'll train hard to beat Harry Potter. Next year, I'll replace him as Slytherin Seeker. I'll show everyone I'm a better fit for the position than he is.
Give me one more chance, Father. Give me one more year and I swear I won't fail twice.
Have mercy on me, Father.
I don't want to be kicked out of the family.

Your son,
Draco

Ever since then, Draco had avoided Harry and had started hanging out with Pansy Parkinson, Vincent Crabbe, and Gregory Goyle instead. Harry, on the other hand, had become friends with Daphne Greengrass, Blaise Zabini, and Theodore Nott.

The split between the Slytherins had made things worse than they should've been.

Draco's friends would help him train for quidditch while Harry's friends would try sabotaging Draco's trainings, and Draco's friends would constantly try to steal Harry's broomstick to jinx it or destroy it, which had caused more in-house duels than ever.

Draco had failed to replace Harry as Slytherin Seeker in second year, and that had led to his father sending him daily howlers that had never stopped hurting Draco's feelings no matter how used to them he already was.

At one point in the middle of second year, Harry had gotten so angry with Draco that he ordered his pet snake Salazar to eat Draco's eagle owl Archibald.

Draco had been so furious after finding out that Harry's pet had eaten his. Out of rage, Draco had thrown himself onto Harry, pinning him on the floor and trying to attack him without a wand, but Harry had rolled over and pinned Draco instead, holding him down until Draco had begun to cry.

Harry had been so confused when it had happened. He didn't understand why Draco was crying - Draco certainly didn't seem that attached to Archibald that he would cry about his death.

Harry simply didn't see any reason for Draco to cry in that moment. He ended up letting go of Draco, and much to his surprise, Draco didn't try to attack him again. Draco had instead climbed into bed, curled himself into a ball, and had cried himself to sleep.

Ever since then,  Harry and Draco had stopped fighting, and the war between their friends had come to a ceasefire, but they never spoke to each other again, besides the occasional "move it" or "you're in my way."

It was already Harry's third year at Hogwarts, and even as the bright sunlight illuminated the noisy train compartment where Daphne, Blaise, and Theodore were sitting with Harry and cracking jokes, there was only one thing on Harry's mind.

I miss him.