14 - The Restricted Section

"You know, Potter, you shouldn't have asked Snape," Draco whispered as he and Harry made their way to the library. "Going around letting people know you wanna be immortal will make people think you're evil."

"Trust me, Draco, I'm pretty sure everyone already thinks I'm evil since the moment they saw me carrying Salazar around. And what with him eating other people's pets, there's really no need to pretend I'm a saint, is there?" Harry replied softly, the two of them already in the library.

"Fair enough. How are we gonna get the book from the restricted section, though? We need a professor to give us a permit, and I don't think asking Snape would be a good idea," said Draco as they headed to the restricted section.

"Draco, we're Slytherins. We don't do this the honest way, we do this the Slytherin way," said Harry, coming to a halt. "You distract Madam Pince, I'll get the book."

"Do you even know what book you're looking for?" Draco replied as Madam Pince paced around the restricted section a few feet away.

"You have to buy me enough time to find what I'm looking for," said Harry. "Go."

Draco sighed. "Alright. You still owe me that kiss, Potter."

Draco turned on his heel and walked over to Madam Pince with a falsely innocent smile on his face. "Good morning, Madam Pince. I was wondering if you could help me find a certain book. I've been looking around the library but my eyes aren't doing very well lately, and I've been feeling a little under the weather..."

Madam Pince gasped as Draco pretended to fall sideways, Madam Pince quickly scooping him up and holding him by the shoulders to support him. She started walking him around the unrestricted section of the library, mewling about how Draco shouldn't be walking around alone in his condition.

Harry took his opportunity and slipped into the restricted section. Running through shelf after shelf, Harry browsed through the table of contents of each book that had anything to do with alchemy until he found an enormous old book called Alchemy, Ancient Art and Science.

Harry saw the word "immortal" in one of the pages, chucked the book into his bag, and went back to the unrestricted section of the library.

Harry found Draco in between two of the shelves, with Madam Pince fanning him over with her hands as Draco pretended to feel sick.

"I'll take him from here, Madam Pince," said Harry, striding towards Draco and slinging an arm around his shoulder. "I'll take him to the hospital wing."

"Why, yes, yes, you should! Bless your heart, dear boy, and take good care of him!" Madam Pince called after Harry as he walked Draco out of the library.

Once they were out, they headed straight to the Slytherin common room and into the boys' dormitories, which was empty.

"You're a genius, Draco," Harry breathed while laughing as he pulled the book out of his bag and slammed it on his bed, sitting next to it.

"Merlin, that Madam Pince was literally swooning over me," Draco muttered with a snicker, sitting next to Harry. "Let's hear it, then."

Harry flipped the book back onto the page he'd found and began to read aloud.

The ancient study of alchemy is concerned with making the Sorcerer's Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal.

There have been many reports of the Sorcerer's Stone over the centuries, but the only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicolas Flamel, the noted alchemist and opera lover. Mr. Flamel, who celebrated his six hundred and sixty-fifth birthday last year, enjoys a quiet life in Devon with his wife, Perenelle (six hundred and fifty-eight.)

Harry and Draco looked at each other with mischievous grins on their faces.