15 - Lucius' Tip

"Oh, right," Draco said, suddenly remembering something and standing up. "I almost forgot. I'm gonna write to Father about having you stay with us for the summer."

Harry watched as Draco scribbled a letter with a quill.

Dear Father,

I made a new friend at Hogwarts. It's Harry Potter. He's a Slytherin. So am I, so I suppose you'll let me go home for the summer.

I've just found out about Potter having to live with horrible muggles. I told him he can live with us at Malfoy Manor instead. We can have Dobby prepare Potter's bed next to mine before summer.

Potter and I have just discovered something that makes people immortal. We're gonna use it, and if you wanna live forever too, let me know and I'll hook you up into our plan. Ask mother if she wants in on it, too. Tell no one else.

Please write back with lots of sweets. They don't give us a lot of candy here.

Your son,
Draco

"I'll have Archibald send this to Father," said Draco, sealing the letter and standing back up.

"Who's Archibald?" Harry asked, following him out the door.

"My owl. Wanna meet him?" Draco replied as they headed for the west tower.

"Wait, I probably shouldn't bring Salazar, he'll wanna eat all the owls in the owlery," Harry said and apologized to Salazar in parseltongue, left him on the bed, shut the door, and went with Draco to the owlery, the two of them cracking jokes along the way.

They finally reached the owlery, where hundreds of owls hooted at them and flapped their wings. Draco approached an eagle owl and tied the letter to Archibald's leg, telling him to go to Malfoy Manor and deliver it to his father.

Their classes went on for the rest of the day - Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall, Herbology with Professor Sprout, History of Magic by Professor Binns, and Charms with Professor Flitwick.

Right before flying lessons with Madam Hooch, Archibald came flying back to Draco carrying an entire parcel.

Harry and Draco took the parcel to the Slytherin common room and started ripping it open on one of the wooden tables. Inside the parcel were loads of candy, a newspaper, and an envelope.

Draco picked up the envelope first and ripped it open, reading the letter aloud.

Dear Draco,

We cannot have Harry Potter stay at Malfoy Manor. The dark lord is not dead, and he will rise again soon, I know he will. What would it look like to the dark lord if we had Harry Potter as our guest? Send my apologies to your friend. He will have to stay with the muggles.

As for the stone, your mother and I do not wish to live forever. Life is already as painful as it is. Around a century of living is more than enough for us to handle, thanks.

I would advise you not to go about announcing your immortality plans to everyone around you, Draco. You don't want to attract the wrong kind of attention from the people around you, and you most certainly do not want that nutter Dumbledore to keep a close eye on you.

In this parcel I have left a newspaper. Read the front page. It's about the stone you're looking for. And if the hint isn't enough for you dimwits, the stone is with Dumbledore.

Lots of lusciousness,
Lucius

"Your father's pretty cool," Harry remarked as Draco picked up the newspaper next.

The headlines read,

GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST

Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown.

Gringotts goblins today insisted that nothing had been taken. The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day.

"But we're not telling you what was in there, so keep your noses out if you know what's good for you," said a Gringotts spokesgoblin this afternoon.

Harry's eyes widened at the realization. "July 31st? That was the day Hagrid and I went to Gringotts. We took some gold out of my vault then he took me to another one... I think it was vault number seven hundred and thirteen... He picked something up from that vault. It was a small brown package. It looked like it could've been a stone wrapped in paper!"

"What?" Draco exclaimed. "So if Father's right, Hagrid must've taken that stone to Dumbledore!"

"How'd your father even know it was with Dumbledore, though?" Harry asked. "And how'd he even know what was stolen was the stone?"

Draco shrugged. "He probably just guessed it. Father can guess anything."