Chapter 32: First Dinner

Laying on my back, I stare up at the ceiling of my new room and contemplate emptily. I reach a hand up and close it around nothing.

So... I'm back at square one with a different set of idiots. They... seem to have a vague inkling of the trauma inflicted by the Sakamaki's from my early days of residing with them. Even with this plan of theirs, it seems that they have empathy for the plight they think I endured.

I sit up and wander the room to the door, taking a bobby pin from my hair and jimmying the lock. With sluggish feet, I descend the steps and wander the halls. My nose brings me toward the smell of human food and I wonder furtively if they were cooking for me. I hadn't seen wait staff, so they had to be the ones that were cooking.

I enter what looks to be a dining room and observe the cutlery set out.

"Do you need help setting anything out?" I ask of the slight disturbance of air behind me.

The man behind me starts, but seems to recover quickly, "Yes. Follow me."

Ruki emerges from behind me and strides to the kitchen where he hands me a set of plates.

"Oi, you're not supposed to be out, sow."

I pointedly ignore him, meticulously setting out the large dishware. Yuma follows with a set of salad bowls already filled. At the sight of tomatoes on the salad, I gnaw on my lower lip.

"Oh, what a surprise Maso-kitty!"

Again, I don't respond, instead finding my way back to the kitchen.

"How rude."

"I'm not fond of disgusting pet names," I say, taking a prepared pan of shrimp from Ruki with trivets to protect myself from the heat.

"You'll put up with whatever we call you, livestock."

"No," I respond, placing the dish out on the table. "Hello, Azusa."

"...Eve," he greets and I let out an audible sigh.

"My name is Miyako," I say with a small smile, correcting him.

"Ah... Miyako... it is a... pretty name."

My lips part in surprise and I meet the vampire's eyes, "Th-thank you, Azusa."

"Mm..."

"You'll be sitting over there, livestock," Ruki says, gesturing to somewhere I deliberately didn't pay attention to.

"Where?" I ask Azusa instead and he gestures to the seat beside him.

Scooping my skirt beneath myself, I perch myself uneasily on the edge of the chair.

"So, Kou, I remember that the last time I met you mentioned that you were an idol," I begin, watching as the blonde seats himself across from me, "What kind of music do you specialize in?"

"Well, pop of course," he says cheerfully, but with an edge as if that much was completely obvious.

He did have the appearance of a pop idol I supposed, looking him up and down. The modern style of boyband dress with tight pants and a shirt loose around the collarbone implied a casual professionalism. He catches the gesture and smirks.

"You see something you like, Maso-kitty?"

As if flicking a switch, I let my face go flat and turn my gaze to the others that were now taking their places.
"What do the rest of you like to do?" I inquire of the table, adeptly changing the subject.

"Gardening," Yuma says between bites, not waiting a moment after everything was set to inhale what was in front of him.

"Oh... was the salad from your garden perhaps?" I ask, eyeing the bowl even more apprehensively.