Chapter 4: Troublesome (Reiji, Subaru, Shuu)

"What's your name? Yakki?"

I turned toward the person who spoke, she was a small girl with bright blue eyes and long brown hair.

"Er, my name is actually Miyako. What's yours?"

"Arisu," she said animatedly, her eyes seeming to sparkle like dew on grass. "Whatcha going to night school for Miyako?"

"Well I moved in with the Sakamaki brothers and they attend night school so I'm just adjusting to their lifestyle."

"Oh those boys," Arisu said with eyes the size of dinner plates. "I am so sorry - well I don't think Shu is so bad but the other five are creepy as hell. Luckily I'm only in here every so often because my grades are a little off or when the teachers check me for behavior, but I do see them around every time I am."

"They are a little unnerving-"

"Sh! Reiji incoming!"

I glanced surreptitiously over my shoulder. Sure enough, the black haired vampire's light red eyes eyes swept the room and rested upon me.

"Miyako," he greeted stiffly. "You don't have Calculus on your time tables."

"I do now," I stated coolly. "Pre-algebra was wrong so I had my marks sent to this school and they moved me up. I'm in Calculus, Advanced Chemistry, and Literature now."

"I see, well, keep up well enough and I won't have to punish you."

Arisu gave me an uncertain glance, but I kept my eyes calmly fixed on Reiji, "I'll get tutoring if I need it."

For the rest of the class period, Arisu was oddly quiet as if Reiji's presence sapped all the words from her energetic mind. My mind, however, was perfectly satisfied with running through the numbers to keep itself from the fact that Reiji scanned my work every ten minutes or so.

"Don't make such an idiotic mistake, Miyako, the limit does not exist there," he muttered under his breath.

"Actually it does," I said firmly. "The limit exists but the function is discontinuous there. The limits are equal from both the left and right, but do not equal the value of the point they approach."

Reiji fell silent for a few moments, scuffing out with his eraser. I didn't smile, but a slight smugness tingled in my belly. When class finished, Reiji left swiftly and without a single word.

"Well that was weird," Arisu muttered, watching Reiji's retreating back.

"He's just tough, that's all. Very strict about rules from what I can tell. At least I can rely on him for that."

"Rely on him?" Arisu scoffed, gathering her things into her satchel. "More like he's a hard ass who gets butthurt if he isn't right."

"Yeah, he's very uptight," I agreed, following Arisu out of the room. "But he likes to follow rules, which is more than I can say for the other brothers."

"Yikes, I'm so sorry you have to live with them."

"Well, it's not so bad," I lied, finding my way to the lunch room. "Do you have lunch now?"

"Of course I do," Arisu said happily. "Night school isn't as popular as day school, so obviously there aren't as many students. We can all have lunch at the same time!"

"Hm," I muttered, gazing around the cafeteria uncertainly. "Well, safety in numbers I guess."

"Sorry?"

"Nothing, let's sit over there. I'm going to take out my calc homework and get started."

"Oh come on, you've got to eat something!"