Chapter 2: Adjustment (All, Ayato)

It was deep nighttime when I awoke; I could see the blackness outside of my window. A wide room sprawled out before me in a gross array of pinks and satins. The bed I laid upon was large enough to sleep an elephant. 

"I didn't change into this," I muttered under my breath as I pulled at the light cotton of the night gown I wore. Night gowns weren't even my style. 

"You look so alluring in that lace, Little Bitch."

The blink of an eye was all it took for Laito to appear, sitting, at the end of my bed. 

"Back off," I growled at him, pulling the sheets up around me.

"That's right, Laito, she belongs to Yours Truly," Ayato had joined his brother upon the bed, first shoving himself in Laito's way before feasting his eyes upon me.

"You'll be late if you continue to mess around."

"Damn Reiji," Ayato growled. Sure enough, the dark haired man stood just at the end of my bed dressed in what looked to be a school uniform. I hadn't the slightest idea when he'd gotten there, but apparently he'd done so in a nanosecond.

"We were just about to have fun!" Laito protested.

"You need to get changed," Reiji chastised sullenly.

"Changed?" I echoed, my brow furrowing.

"Yes, we are headed to nightschool."

"Nightschool, isn't that for delinquent students who need remediation?"

"Don't be so obtuse," Reiji said, looking down his nose at me. "This is the lifestyle we abide by in this house. You are expected to adhere to it as well."

"I'm still not sure I belong here!"

"Enough!" Reiji said sternly. "Your manners are deplorable. Change into the school uniform at the end of your bed."

With that, he was gone. I blinked a few times, then muttered under my breath as I donned the skirt and blouse. 

"This has to be a mistake," I muttered angrily. "It has to be."

How did I get here? Surely there was an explanation, in fact, I could feel that there was one. It sat at the edge of my mind and taunted me like a mirage taunts a dehydrated man. I went over what I did know. One, I had been sent here - whether by my own will or someone else's I didn't know. I doubted that father would send me so that was out of the question; he didn't have anything to do with this, did he? Hmm... Well, number two: they were all vampires. Three... there was no three. At this point, the unknowns grossly outnumbered the knowns. They left questions like: Where's my father? Or rather, why can't I even remember my father too well? Why were all these people vampires? 

No, three is that you can protect yourself. Your father taught you self defense.

Okay, that was a known. There were three knowns. That was better than none. But what about the other questions: 'How do I get out of here?' 'Why did I even have heart surgery?'  'Who was the purple haired woman I saw right before I passed out?'

I shook my head. None of this would help me. The only way to solve this was by going forward with what I knew and putting them together with a strategy. Strategy hadn't been one of my strong points really, I was more of someone who jumped into things and acted based on instinct. But here, with nothing to go on, I had to make choices wisely. 

I was trained with a knife by my father, so theoretically, I could kill the vampires. Even so, I wasn't exactly sure where my knife was. There certainly wasn't one in my suitcase.