Chapter 33: Masochism (Azusa)

"Where are you going?"

"School of course," Kou responds, the arrogance in his voice is thinly veiled by the upbeat tone in which he says it.

"You're not worried about the Sakamaki's retaliation for kidnapping me?"

"I do believe we rescued-"

"Whatever," I roll my eyes before Ruki finishes, "Get yourselves killed for all I care. When none of you come home, I'll know to escape whenever I please."

Something heavy hits my chest beneath my collarbone, shoving me backward. The air in my lungs rushes out like a wind as my back slams into the wall behind me.

"You watch your mouth, Sow," Yuma's voice is demanding and close all at once despite the high ringing in my inner ear.

"Yuma, we shouldn't cause any unnecessary bruising to our livestock," Ruki says sharply as I gasp for air.

The behemoth brother removes his large hand from my chest and I drop to the ground, still attempting to wheeze in the slightest breath of air.

"You won't remain alone here, obviously," Kou says, holding his school bag over his shoulder with one hand. "Azusa will stay with you. He's a little odd, so don't mind him too much. Though, you're not the best company; I pity him."

"Fu..." I trail off, thinking better of the retaliation on my lips.

I'm fed up with the treatment and it's hardly been a day... then again, I'd survived being thrown in a pool, drained of blood, and having my body taken over. I'd overcome more than this.

Azusa and I sat upon the living area couches in relative silence for a long while after they had left. He was a little difficult to read; perhaps he wanted to speak? Every time it looked like words were about to escape his lips, he pressed them back together firmly until finally.

"You must be... very angry... to have been taken... away..."

I perk up at this curiously.

"Yes, I'm quite put-out," I reinforce, wondering suddenly if Azusa was the closest to understanding. Afterall, he was the first to call me by name. "I miss the Sakamaki family."

"I want... to stand beside... Eve."

"Well, I'm not Eve, I'm Miyako."

"You are... the Eve, ... Miyako."

"I'm not sure what any of this means... it's very frustrating..."

"Would you... like to let out... some of that... frustration?"

"Er... I suppose so," I cock my head, regarding his shriveled countenance as it immediately perks up. "What did you have in mind?"

"Follow... me..."

Well, I wasn't sure what I expected, but the moment it was clear he'd lead me to his bedroom, I was immediately guarded.

"Azusa, I'm a lady, I'll remind you. I'm not about to engage in any unsavory activities with you."

"Oh, unsavory... no... not that kind... I wanted to show you... my collection."

"The knives?" I wonder aloud, allowing myself to hesitantly follow him deeper into the dimly lit room.

Are we doing to do some knife throwing? I'd be down...

"Here... see?"

He holds out a polished mahogany box in front of him, proudly opening the latch and lifting the lid. Inside are a glittering array of knives and daggers – all well-cleaned and pristinely sharpened.