Chapter 6: Frequency (Ayato, Reiji, Subaru)

I sat hunched over my books in the garden. Well, under the bridge hidden by the rose bushes with a dim light over my books. The Sakamaki brothers didn't often leave me alone, even to do my schoolwork.

The literature I was working on suddenly blurred slightly before my eyes as my heart thudded deafening in my chest.

"Ah-" I groaned, putting a hand to my heart as a pain lanced through it.

The pen I was using to write an essay fell from my fingers and onto the grass. Angrily, the pain continued to sting and I shut my eyes against it. Putting my lower lip between my teeth, I bit down so hard that blood spurted across my tongue.

"What the hell are you doing, Pancake?"

I didn't answer Ayato – I was both grateful and ungrateful that he'd finally found me. In this state, I needed medical attention, but I was uncertain as to whether Ayato could help.

I need to get him to help somehow.

When I opened my eyes, however, a woman with long purple hair stood staring at me from the other side of the rivier. Her elegant black dress swayed as if with a silent breeze as she turned away.

"Hey, Pancake!" Ayato pressed, making me jump. He clambered over the rosebushes as I spared a glance at the far bank; the woman was gone. "I'm talking to you!"

Ayato grasped my upper arm and yanked me upright.

"Be careful," I groaned, the pain in my chest still pulsed, but was slowly fading. "My chest hurts... please."

"What?" he put me down and peered into my face.

His poison green eyes were shivering with curiosity as he watched me squeak and curl with another wave of pain. My scalp tingled in the aftershock of the agony. Grass pressed against my cheek, damp with the night's dew and I shivered.

"What is it?"

"My heart hurts," I gasped out, allowing him to pull my arms away.

"Let me look-"

"Wait, no!" But he had already pulled my shirt up over my breasts. I usually wore a sports bra, but that wasn't the point. I struggled to roll the shirt back down. "Ayato!"

"What is this?" he growled, staring at the scar running down my sternum.

"The scar from my heart surgery," I answered, pushing at his hands in an attempt to loosen his grip upon my shirt.

"Heart surgery?" Ayato echoed, running a finger along the uneven skin.

"Yes, a heart transplant to be exact."

"I see," he muttered, then did something that took my breath away.

He leaned down and kissed the scar with utmost tenderness.

"Th-thank you," I whispered.

It was a pure gesture; it warmed my heart and washed away the pain that was left. Without thinking, I slipped my fingers through his russet hair and pulled his head up to my neck, turning my head to expose it further.

"Miyako-"

"Don't get the wrong idea. Drink my blood, Ayato."

His lips brushed my skin, then a prick pierced t. I didn't flinch, but simply ran my fingers through his hair as he sucked.

His poison green eyes raised to meet mine, "So delicious..."

I smiled wearily back at him in answer and sat up. A few droplets of crimson had gotten onto my papers and I sighed, gathering them up.