Chapter 35: Give and Take World (Kou, some Yuma)

A knock at the door startles me from my musings while I brush out my long hair.

"Hello?"

"How are ya, masochistic kitten?"

It's hard to stifle the irritable sigh that threatens to leave my lips as Kou enters my room without permission.

"My name is Miyako," I say patiently for the umpteenth time. "What brings you here?"

He whips something out from behind his back, startling me back against the bed. I grab for my dagger, which isn't there, and instead curl my fist around a whole lot of air.

"Woah," he mutters, watching the vehemence of my reaction with wide, blue eyes. He looks from the bouquet of roses in his outstretched hand to me quizzically. "It's just a present."

"It was unexpected," I try to smile, but my breathing is rather heavy from the sudden rush of adrenaline. "But not unwelcome... what's the occasion?"

"To celebrate our friendship!"

He hands them over into my unprepared hands then gazes at me expectantly.

"Er, they're lovely... thank you, Kou. Perhaps they need water? Do you have any vases in the house?"

"You want more from me?"

"Well, I don't want the flowers to die so quickly," I say hesitantly, closely monitoring his quickly shifting mood.

"Why don't you show me a little gratitude instead, huh?" he growls, his mood flipping on a dime.

"What do you mean?"

"Do you really think you can get something without giving anything in return?"

"Well, yes," I explain hesitantly, "That's what a present is – something given without expecting anything in return. I haven't anything to give you other than my gratitude; perhaps you want these flowers back?"

"It's a give and take world, Maso-Kitty. It's pathetic you don't know – "

"I do know! But there are things that can be given that aren't material; those mean so much more than any item you could ever give me."

"Where do you get off on lecturing me?!"

His arm lashed out, striking me across the chest and throwing me back against the bed. Before I can recover by breath, he's on top of me, hands caging my wrists and legs suffocating my movement.

"Hey-"

"You can't take from me and –"

"I didn't take from you, you gave that to me- ouch! Kou stop! Stop!"

He'd struck at my neck like a viper and bit hard enough to make my train of thought completely disappear.

"Damn, it tastes like shit," I he hisses, but strikes once more.

The pain drowned out the point I was trying to make and I struggled uselessly against his vampiric strength.

Vampiric strength – if I could steal some of his blood I could be on even ground! Even just for a short bit!

I gape my jaws and attempt to return the bite, jostling in his pointed grip, but he tightens his jaws and I squeal in agony.

"It hurts! Stop – Father don't let them-"

His bite immediately relinquishes.

"What?" he demands, blood dripping from his lips onto my cheek.