Chapter 21: Doted Upon (Laito&Reiji)

"She's still running a mild temperature," Reiji muttered and I sighed sadly.

Other than feeling a little chilled and sore-throated, my personality was back to normal. Well, I was still exhausted and my body still ached mildly, but my menstrual cycle was reaching an end, thankfully.

"What does that mean?" Kanato asked, clutching Teddy.

"She is unfit to return to school for the time being."

"Those smelly vampires haven't returned to school..."

"Smelly?" I echoed.

"They smell different since they're not pure bloods like us," Reiji explained shortly, sitting at my bedside and removing his gloves methodically.

His fingers then traced down my throat from my jaw and massaged next to my trachea.

"As I thought, her lymph nodes are swollen – how troublesome – it may be strep throat."

"But listen to her lungs," Ayato said, sitting on the bed across from me. "They sound so funky."

"That's probably a side effect of the cold she may be having," but Reiji pushed me back onto the bed and put an ear to my chest. "Hm, perhaps not. You're correct, they do sound like they're bubbling..."

"Bubbling?" I echoed, my voice rasping slightly. "That's... shitty."

"Damn, I want to drink her blood too," Ayato growled angrily, flopping back upon the bed and grasping my ankle possessively.

"I'll schedule her a doctor's appointment," Reiji said dismissively. "The rest of us will go to school. Laito, you will watch over her."

"Nfu, we'll have fun," he said with a small smile on his face, but Reiji gave a chastising glare.

~

"Laito," I murmured, rolling over in bed and reaching out for him.

"What is it?" he asked looking over his shoulder.

"Want to know something?"

"Anything Anta-kun," he said crawling up close and throwing an arm over my belly.

"When I first saw you, I thought you were creepy because of your hat," I giggled gently, pushing my head back into the pillow.

"Oh? Why is that?"

"I thought only scary people like Freddie Krueger wore fedoras. I nicknamed you 'Fedora Vamp.'"

"Hm, Miyako tells all..." he chuckled, his lush green eyes glittering up at me. Suddenly his expression froze. "Shit...!"

He was across the room in a millisecond, before I could even blink.

"What? What?!" I asked, sitting up very suddenly and staring over my shoulder.

On the wall, scuttling slowly along, was a spider. It was smaller than a coin but thick and brown. Quickly, I swept a tissue from my bedside table and trapped it in the Kleenex before stalking to the bathroom and tossing it out the window.

"The coast is clear and bug-free," I reported teasingly, climbing tenderly back into bed and opening my arms to the russet haired vampire. He smiled with chagrin, but crawled back across the bed and snuggled up close.

"My savior," he said. "Nfu, Anta-kun, would you let me torture you?"

"Er, what?"

"Consensually of course because you're strange that way - your blood does not taste as sweet when you're frightened."