1

Michael's POV

"Breaking News: there are what appears to be three half-human, half-cat hybrids on the loose. Two are male and one is female, they seem to be a family. They are a danger to our community. If you-"

Karen, my mother, hurried to the TV and shut it off. I squinted at her, puzzled. "Mom, what are... hybrids? And um, why are they on the news?"

"Hybrids are the offspring of two different species... like killer bees."

"But the news said these ones were half human and cat. Not half of two animals. How does that even happen?" I interrupted, even more confused than before.

She rolled her eyes. "Let me finish, Michael. Human hybrids are very rare, but still, possible. They are not widely accepted and few people will associate themselves with hybrid."

"It is kind of strange, I mean... half-human, half-cat? That's just freaky." I shrugged, getting up from the table and pushing in my chair. "I'm going to go up to my room now, love ya mum."

I bounded up the steps, thinking about what my mom said. The thought of someone having cat ears or a cat tail or even real whiskers was just weird. I can understand why they weren't widely accepted.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed. I dug it out from my pocket and read the new text message.

From: Unknown

You have two weeks to pay up or else.

"Fuck," I mumbled under my breath. I tore through my dresser drawers, searching for any cash, but I had none. A few pennies and dimes here and there, but that was it.

"Michael! Come help with the TV please!"

I threw my phone on my bed angrily and headed downstairs to find my mum on the couch and my dad trying to fix our old TV. "Is it going static again?" I asked and they just nodded. I bent down beside my father and helped him fix a few wires.

There was a knock on the door shortly after we had fixed the TV and my mum got up to answer it.

I peered out as she pulled the door open. Standing on our little welcome mat were a man and a woman about my parent's age and a boy about my age behind them. They were all wearing beanies and baggy pants.

My mom smiled warmly at them.

"Hello, stranger."

Notes

I'm sorry this was short but this is just the starter.

I hope you like it so far, it will get more exciting.

Jordan

Edited July 2019