~Chapter 31~

After snapping me out of my reverie and finishing up his cabinet work, Skye led me toward the ladder just below the open roof. We were both huddled up together at the top of the ladder slightly above the opening. It did nothing to calm down my overly nervous body. I could feel the sparks in this proximity and wanted nothing more than to close the already non-existent space.

I still can't believe the fact that Skye Williams is also Skylar Nolan and that the guy I love is also the guy that I used to have a crush on. What are the odds, right? I could feel the average amount of intelligence in me laughing at my stupidity.

"Hey, you okay?" Skye asked me, nudging his shoulder with mine and there went those mocking sparks.

I avoided looking at him and stared at my hands. "Yeah... just thinking."

"Oh? Then I'd suggest you lift up your eyes to look at the stars instead of your hands," he told me, sounding very much amused.

Chuckling, I did as he told me to and I could spot a few of them in the darkness of the night. "I wish we had a telescope right now. It would have been so much better," I said with a grin plastered on my face and finally met his eyes.

Skye furrowed his brows like he was seriously considering my words and nodded his head. "Now I wish for it too." He smiled down at me with that same tender gaze.

It was like my hand had a mind of its own because I raised it to softly graze his jawline. At that particular moment, my body was at peace and those over heightened nerves evaporated into the thin air.

He raised his eyebrows as our eyes were locked into an intense stare. I don't know what I was doing but I knew that I felt good. Breaking the eye contact, my eyes slid down to his slightly parted lips.

The moment was however shattered when the cabinet door that Skye was working on just minutes ago unhinged and fell down with a loud crashing thud. I was jolted out of my trance and quickly retreated my hand back, laughing nervously. "There was a wood smudge on your jaw," I lied swiftly.

Skye didn't buy it because he averted his eyes heavenwards and a smirk formed on his lips. "Sure."

I wanted to slap myself for not thinking my actions through. Trying to tone down my mortification, I followed his eyesight and tilted my head upwards as well. "You know..." I began, all of a sudden with a wistful expression. I don't know what made me say the next words but I guess watching the dark skies brought out some childhood memories fresh in my head.

"Yeah?"

"My dad used to always tell me that night has the power to heal our scars. There's no better and working medicine than nature's gift - night. You sleep with a headache but wake up with a fresh mind. You sleep with a cold and cough but wake up with a free nose. You never question how you become all well once you wake up. Likewise with the real scars. Because, we all know that night is magical."

"I... completely agree with your dad. Night is dark, mysterious and beautiful."

It was silent after that and we continued staring at the dark skies with a blissful tranquility. I was so lost in my own world when suddenly I felt him staring at the side of my face. Giving him a quick glance, I tucked my hair behind my ear consciously. For some reason, I was being pulled back to the day when we had kissed, if it could even be considered as that.

"I am curious," Skye spoke, still not taking his eyes off of me. I could feel my face getting hot but I nodded my head nonetheless. "What would you have been if you weren't a copywriter?"

"I am still not a copywriter," I joked but he frowned, not finding it funny. Clearing my throat, I stared at my open hands. "Honestly? I don't know. In fact, there's never a single thought in my head for what I'd have done if not this when it comes to my career. I never gave myself any options which actually makes me talentless, if that's even a word." I released an awkward and embarrassed laugh.