17

I had convinced Minnie to allow me to leave Leon with her for first lesson. She gave in when I mentioned that I would be working with Mandrake and didn't want to risk him getting hurt. I also had Astara stay with him so she could keep an eye on him while Minnie taught and left a few games and colouring books with him to keep him busy. Before leaving the class room I had transfigured a block of wood into a playpen so Minnie wouldn't have to worry about him running around the classroom. Luckily she had the 7th year Gryffindor and Slytherin's this morning and they all seemed to be protective of Leon the moment they saw him. The lions because he was adorable and the snakes because they saw the bond I had already formed with him and the respected me enough to protect him.

I walk up to Professor Sprout with the others and groan loudly when I see Lockhart standing with her. Sprout looked less then impressed. The sun reflected off the gold trimming on Lockhart's turquoise robes and shined directly into my eyes as well as a few of the others. 

"Oh hello there! I was just showing Professor Sprout the right way to doctor a Whomping Willow! But I don't want you running away with the idea that I'm better at Herbology than she is! I just happen to have met several of these exotic plants on my travels..."

I roll my eyes but giggle when I see Sprout expression, she looked like she was about to slap him. "Greenhouse Three today, chaps!" Her usual happy attitude was dampened by the egotistical peacock that towered over her small height. Sprout took a heavy looking key from her belt and opened the greenhouse we would be working in today. The moment the door is opened we are all hit with the smell of damp earth, flowers and fertilizer. 

I was about to walk in when I was stopped by the life size ken-doll-wanna-be stopped me by placing his hand around my bicep. He really needs to learn to stop grabbing people especially students.  I spin around to face him forcing him to let go of me as I do. 

"Adaline! I've been wanting a word - you don't mind if she's a couple of minutes late, do you, Professor Sprout?" it was clear to everyone that she did mind but before she could voice her opinion Lockhart was dragging me out of the green house and closing the greenhouse door in her face. I hear a faint scoff from the Herbology professor as the door closes. 

I turn to face Goldie and cross my arms, less then impressed with his need to pull everyone around. I wanted so bad to kill him but I knew I needed to wait. Plus I couldn't do anything without letting my darling familiar bite him first, Astara would have my head if I did. 

"Adaline. Adaline, Adaline, Adaline." Lockhart shock his head as he repeated my name as if he was a parent disappointed with their child. I clench my fist at the thought. I had hated Lockhart the moment his character was introduced and now was no different. "When I heard - well, of course it was all my fault. Could have kicked myself." 

I stare at him blankly not having a clue about what he was talking about. "Gave you a taste for publicity, didn't I? Gave you the bug. You got on the front page of the paper with me and you couldn't wait to do it again" 

"Professor what in the name of Morgana are you talking about?" He finally stops rambling when he notices the genuine confusion on my face. He pull out a folded daily prophet from the inside of his robes almost cautiously and holds it out to me. !]I take it a pause when I see the headline along with a picture of Draco and I at Diagon Alley holding hands, smiling underneath.  

Girl-who-lived betrothed to a Malfoy?

I can't help it and bust into laughter. They really thought that Draco and I were a couple. I laugh until the point of tears before looking back up at the incompetent fool in front of me. "Draco is my cousin. Were friends. Plus he's part Veela he won't settle for anything less then his mate. Have a nice day now" With that I turn around and walk into the greenhouse in time to hear Professor Sprout.

"Who can tell me the properties of the Mandrake?" It was to no ones surprise when Granger immediately raised her hand. I walk over to Draco and Neville while pulling on the apron we were made to wear to protect our uniform. Just to spite Hermione for what she did yesterday I decide to answer without raising my hand.

"Mandrake, also known as Mandragora, is a powerful restorative and is primarily used in the Mandrake Restoration Drought, which can be used to treat petrification." I gently nudge Draco with my elbow and he, knowing what I was up to, continued. "    The cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it. But if the Mandrake is young it's cries will knock you unconscious for a few hours."

Professor Sprout looks at us in surprise while Hermione stamps her foot on the ground childishly and crosses her arms across her chest. "Well done. 10 points to Slytherin. Each. Now everyone take a pair of earmuffs" I smile when I watch everyone try and grab a pair that wasn't bright pink and fluffy while I pull of the pairs I had shrunk down and placed into my pocket this morning. Two were a deep red and the rest where green, each had a name embroidered on the head band. I hand the red pairs to Neville and Seamus, while the green ones go to Draco, Blaise and myself. 

They each give me a look of relief and thank me. I was going to get new sets for the school to use as the current ones were one thread away from falling apart form the constant use. "When I tell you to put them on, make sure your ears are completely covered, When it is safe to remove them, I will give you the thumbs-up. Right - earmuffs on." Everyone put their earmuffs on and sprout gives a few second to make sure they are on properly. When she is certain that they are she grips the Mandrake by the base of the stem before yanking out the body/roots. 

I see Ron go pale a the sight of the wrinkly baby like body before his eyes roll back and he faints. I can't hear the others but I can see from their expressions that they are laughing as they all start to lean on each other. Seamus leaned on Neville who then leaned on me while Blaise and Draco did the same on the other side of me.  

I shake my head in amusement and look to Sprout who simply shrugs her shoulders at the unconscious red head and continues to repot the screaming plant. When she's done she holds her thumbs up and the class take off their earmuffs. "Well, Weasley must not of placed his earmuffs on correctly."

"No, Professor he fainted." Hermione defends her friend and Sprout simply looks at Ron while placing her hands on her hips looking completely resigned as if this was an everyday occurrence. She shrugs her shoulders once more. "Yes, Well leave him there." Professor Sprouts level of calm was somewhat chaotic and it was entertaining to watch.

Sprout gives us our instructions and we all place the muffs back on before getting to work. While it was tiering it was fun. Especially when Draco decided that he found the baby Mandark cute and decided to wiggle his finger in front of its face while cooing. The Mandrake did not appreciate that and decided to bite down on his finger. They may have been young and small but they were strong and the boys and I laughed as he struggled the pull his finger free. When lesson was over my friends and I were the only ones who weren't completely covered in mud. I roll my eyes knowing that Draco was going to complain about being bitten for the rest of the day. The tip of his finger was only slightly red but it wasn't like Mandrake had teeth so no blood was drawn.