16. Visits

Nathan~~

Will she think I'm being weird? If I do tell her the real reason she may not want to do this with me, I can't say I'm my brother's replacement because that's what I literally am, a shadow behind his name. People say they see Nick in me, I on the other hand never thought that was the case, we are completely different people.
  He was more of the kind, loving, soft person but I, I am nothing like that, I'm bad at giving speeches, most times I don't give a fuck about another person's feelings, but at least I can do the business aspect of things, at first I didn't know anything.

I'm still learning, still learning to be just like he once was.

I place the glass in my hand on the coffee table and turn my attention back to Madison, sitting opposite me. Her brunette hair is in a ponytail with a few loose strands hanging by her eyes, her makeup-free face makes her face look fresh.
  She keeps looking at me like that, like I intrigue her.

"The thing is, it all comes down to needing an heir." She frowns looking at me funny. "The company wants me to get married, start a family and act like we're living this happy life and trust me that's not what I want."

  Madison looks at me concerningly. "And what if you don't do as they say? What will happen?"

"The board will remove my position as president of the company, the company will loose billions and will probably go in debt after all the profits is gone, and basically my family's life will be turned upside down." I say straightforwardly.

  "God." She mutters under her breath.

I look down, feeling slightly embarrassed exposing myself to someone, I feel powerless. "At the end of the day, the company needs an heir to survive."

  "You're the President of the company, do something. Set a new pair of rules or something...don't be unhappy or just mediocre in what you do because you don't look like you want a wife and a family right now."

Madison's right but I've tried stopping this from happening but I can no longer avoid it, I think about it and someone from the board is always trying to convince me otherwise.

"I don't even want a girlfriend right now." I chuckle amusingly leaning back on the couch. "Not after what she did to me." I say looking back at her.
"She and I was planning our wedding, well mostly she was, but then still she decided to take me for a fool and when I ended things the company was so in shock, they all thought she was the one."

Amelia... Amelia... Amelia. That snake.

   "If you think a woman like me is the one then you're mistaken. Doesn't the fact that I just came out of a divorce tell you anything?" She looks down sadly. "I wasn't the one for him and I thought we loved each other."

   Madison looks up and meets my eyes again. "Whatever it is you want from me I don't think I can do it for you, it's too much."

I sit up straight. "You don't have to think about that all right now, just let me help protect you, I got you into this mess, Madison. All I'm asking is for you to work with me on this, please?"

   Madison shakes her head slowly. "I don't think so, Nathan."

"Okay." I say breathing in deeply.

There's a few seconds of silence that fills the room before I speak up again.

Clearing my throat, I say. "There's this exquisite jewelry exhibition opening tomorrow night that I have been invited to, and I uhm- I was wondering if you would like to come with me? As my guest for the evening."
  She looks up her eyes big. "It starts at 9pm, and if you want I'll take you shopping for a nice dress and shoes and-"