29. Responsible For My Own Happiness

Madison~

Finishing up packing my bag I grab my phone off my work desk and head out the door.

My first day back at work has reminded me of how crazy busy it is to be a teacher to little kids, my class was so surprised and screaming of happiness when I walked in this morning and ran up to me hugging my legs, thirty kids can be abit overwhelming but I love what I do and I love my class.

I exit the main entry door after saying bye to my colleagues.
  I'm met with a cool fall breeze and the sun peaking from behind the clouds, five o'clock is the time I end work.

Before I get to the main gate I see a man dressed in a grey suit standing next to a black Mercedes-Benz watching me approach him.

I walk closer and he takes off his sunglasses.

"Ms. Monroe, I believe I haven't properly introduced myself, I'm Matt, Mr. Lane's personal chauffeur." He kept a straight professional face but lifted his hand and I shook it. "He has asked me to bring you to him, at Lane Enterprise Headquarters."

Before I could say anything, Matt opens the back car door for me, I look at him a little hesitant to get in but once I do he closes the door and gets in the drivers seat.

"Please put on your seat belt Ms. Monroe."

I stuttered, attempted to correct him to drop the professional dialect and just call me by my name but stopped myself and just hooked in my seatbelt.

A few minutes has passed when my phone rang in my bed, I take it out and see it's him.

Christian.

I sigh out.

My day was going fine until now.

I stare at the ringing, deciding to rather wait it out for it to end than pressing the decline button, and once it does I'm relieved.

After a few traffic lights, we turn right into an industrial garden with water fixtures infront of a big tall building. The roundabout circle leads us to the front steps of the building, and the car comes to a hault.

Effortlessly Matt exists the car and comes around to open the door for me.

I've never received such special high-class treatment before.

"We have arrived Ms. Monroe." I hear Matt say, I thank him and step out the car.

I glance around and up the tall building in complete awe.

"Madison, so lovely to see you again." Sebastian comes into view and he too is dressed in a professional suit with a million dollar smile on his face.
  "How have you been?"

  I give his hand a quick shake. "I've been doing okay since you know- everything that's been going on with my mom."

He nods, "I heard yes, I hope she will recover soon." And gives me a sincere smile.

I swear he's always smiling and just a positive person, makes it easier for people around him to be swooned over by him. It's good to have that trait.

"Nathan just ended a meeting so he's in his office waiting for you." He says.

I nod and follow him inside the building.

  The downstairs lobby and reception area is spacious, the simplistic modern design with beige, wood and gold accents is easy going to the eye, a lot of greenery is implemented as well with beautiful green plants for an uplifting feel, guessing that's what Lane Enterprises is- sustainable infrastructure, agriculture and modern mining solutions for a better brighter future.

We get pass the security where Sebastian uses a key card to open the gate, he uses it for me to get through as well and we step into an elevator together.

  Soft calming music plays while we just stand in silence.

"So uhh-"

"How was-"

We both say at the same time and after a few seconds I let out a small laugh smiling and he does the same.

He speaks. "Please, you first."

  "How long have you known Nathan? You two seem like close friends." I say.

He thinks before answering, "I've known him since we were young." I nod in acknowledgement, "But I was friends with his brother since we were kids, then ended up working for him as he was the former Ceo of the company until Nathan took over a few years back."

  My eyebrows shot up in surprise, "He has a brother?"

Sebastian turns and look at me hesitantly, "Uhh yeah, and a sister, they're twins, seven years older than Nathan."

I face the front of me again, still shocked by the news. "Wow, well that's news to me."
   Remembering what he said I few seconds ago, I frown looking back at him. "What happened to his brother? Why's he not the Ceo anymore?"

"Well in order for a new Ceo to be chosen the last one has either legally forfeited their title, or has been legally removed from the company from the board of directors, or has unfortunately passed away." He gets really quiet, but after a few seconds speaks again, "Nicholas passed away two years ago."

  My heart sank hearing this news, I turn my head to look at him but his straight mundane face is all I see, staring straight ahead into nothingness.

"Yeah, we don't really like to talk about it around here. So be careful if you bring up to Nathan, he's not the best at dealing with emotions."

  "I'm beginning to realize that." I say trying to make light of the situation, letting out a small laugh and does do.

"He's really fond of you, you know that?"

   I nod slowly, "I do."

"So please don't let him down." He says looking at me, and the warning tone in his voice sparked some sort of curiosity in me.

Am I capable of hurting someone as much as I've been hurt before in the past?

Whether I like to admit it or not, Nathan has continued to be kind to me and he really is becoming a close friend of mine. He has continued showing me what type of person he truly is and I will always mirror that.

  We both seem to have a really rough past but unlike me Nathan doesn't show much emotion, is not comfortable sharing things with me and I can feel it, feel his hesitation towards me, so I won't force him to open up to me, I'm slowly learning that I can't force or expect someone to do the same for me as I would for them.

I need to learn to let go.

  I need to learn that the world is not against me and that there is people who wish me happiness and self-love, but truly I'm responsible for my own happiness, I'm responsible for keeping myself sane.

But no one tells you how fucking hard it is to accept happiness and to give happiness.

__________________

10 January 2024.
__________________

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Please don't forget to vote<3