19. By Your Side

What was I thinking? Why did I open up to him again? How could I betray myself like that?
  Having sex with my ex husband was a big mistake, I should've known better. We cannot stand each other, we can't be in the same room without arguing. How could I forget the way he treated me?

"Madison?"

I am really disappointed in myself right now.

  "Madison? Hey?" I hear Nathan and turned to look at him frantically. "You alright there?" He asks with a concerning look in his eyes. "What you thinking about in that head of yours?"

I turn away from him and sigh. "I made a mistake and I feel so dumb about it, I don't know anymore."

  "A mistake being here with me right now?" He asks carefully, sounding very concerned.

I turn to him, realizing that we arrived at our destination -The boutique he brought me to. "No, Nathan." I look down. "You're great to be around, we're friends right?"

  It takes him a while to agree staring at me, "Friends."

I'm unsure of what I want and I don't want to let my emotions get the best of me, I'm no longer thinking with my heart, I enjoy Nathan's company but I can't risk that chance with him.
I think I will agree to his terms and then we'll have to be strictly professional.

Strictly professional Madison...

Tonight Nathan is taking me as his guest to a jewelry exhibition, and I hope it goes well tonight.

"We're here. Hopefully you find something you like for tonight, this is one of the most luxury boutique here in the city, my ex always used to shop here... with my card." He looks past me at the store.

My eyes wide I stare up at him. "With your card?" He nods, "Did you two love each other? Or was it planned like the media said?" I can't help my curiosity.

  Nathan takes a deep breath in. "We kind of grew up together since our parents knew each other and once I took over the company our parents arranged us to get married since it would look better for the company and all that shit. I didn't love her, I'm glad I didn't get married to her." He says frowning.

I'm surprised he's telling me all this, but I have one more question to ask. "Why are you glad you didn't get married to her?"

  He thinks on my question for a moment and looks at me. "I'm not supposed to be in this position." He lightly chuckles, "Nevermind I- she was just really immature, always blaming others for her mistakes."

I look at him carefully, I feel like he's hiding so much away.

I nod slowly.

  "We should get inside, I booked us with a stylist."

Before I can say something, he gets out of the car and so do I, and waits for me so we can walk up together.

...

Nathan~~

It's too soon to let her in, I can't just tell her everything that has happened in my life, she will think I'm crazy. We're friends and we'll keep it that way. For now my focus is the company.

Once we're inside the boutique a stylist greets us and leads us up the stairs to the second floor where all the evening dresses are and a few dressing rooms, there's also a sitting area facing roof to floor mirrors with a circle step in the middle.

The stylist asks Madison a few questions on her preferences and if she has a certain style in mind for the event, and eventually takes her to pick a few dresses out.