Chapter 2

Cars rolled by in their busy pursuit and the distant barking of the birds flicked over the polluted skies. A fog of the city scent wafted along the constantly switching traffic lights, blanketing the busy people of society who rushed along these very pedestrian crossings everyday.

"This world never fails to disappointment me" The boy with glistening silver hair and a crooked smile continued to stroll down the dirty path, hands behind back as the sterling of the ring pressed into his finger.

A ring from his phone caught his attention

She's looking for a husband. Write a resume or something. She's at her house holding consultations; I'll send you the address

"She's not finding a husband, she's buying one" He scoffed "Perfect". And the boy pocketed his phone and took a taxi towards the address.

The two seemed to stare at each other for a minute.

"Good family background. Independence is my second name. Has stable j-" Xinyi's monotonous voice rung through the room.

"I'll sign with you" Renjun immediately cut her off. Xinyi rose and eyebrow, swinging one leg over the other in curiosity

"Oh?" She pulled out a cigar from the packet laying on the coffee table

"Give me the contract" He flickered his eyes to the thick booklet that gathered dust on the corner of the table. Xinyi scanned the males facial expression for a second before sliding the paper over with the tip of the cigar.

Renjun picked up the contract, brushing off the stray ash that fell from the cigarette "Smoking is bad for you"

"You think I don't know that?" She lit the fresh tobacco

"Then stop doing it. For my sake; the smell hurts my nose" Renjun sniffled

"For your sake? Your overestimate your value" She blew a cloud of grey in the enclosed room. He chuckled bitterly, putting the contract down after leaving a messy signature on the inked paper. She nodded as a polite thanks, standing up and eager to leave the suffocating room.

"Where am I going to live" Renjun stopped her in her walk

"Let me just set something straight" She turned around and pierced her irises straight into his "I'm doing this so my father can shut his old mouth up. We're going on our seperate ways and will only meet up when my father is coming over. You'll be paid the amount that's written on the contract every month and you'll respect every rule in that booklet. This is not a marriage certificate this is a contract. If you want to get married, go on tinder"

"Does tinder pay me to marry someone?" Renjun's smug attitude never wavered against her cold one.

"Again, we're not marrying each other. This is a contract" She really wanted to throw her purse at him

"Well it's not a marriage certificate is it" He poked the stapled stack of paper with his foot

"Are you not at all worried about the contents of the contract" She was plain curious; this was the first time someone didn't even bother to flick through the thick pile of text.

"Are you suggesting that there's something in that contract that I should be worried about?" He clicked his tongue

"No" Xinyi chewed her lips uncomfortably, rolling her shoulders back to straighten her posture

"Then there's no need for me to open it" Renjun took the glass of water from the table and took a sip "I trust you"

"Are you not at worried I'm some human trafficker?"