Chapter 8

The moment the bracelet hit the floor, Renjun did too. He clutched onto his chest, panting as pain shot through his body. Angels rarely felt pain, in fact, in most cases, they don't. But Renjun felt it this time. It felt like a hundred flaming rocks being thrown against his heart, seizing and tugging at it. Everything in him ached and his skull felt as if it had people digging out every inch of it.

Xinyi was going to turn and leave Renjun stranded when she heard a thump. She couldn't believe she just stopped. For a mere boy.

Her hands curled into a tight ball, heavy panting sounding behind her.

"Xinyi" Renjun could barely make out her name as his hands made contact with the ground. She remained cold.

"It hurts" He tried to push himself forwards but everything about the pain was restricting him from doing so.

"Don't put up a pity act" She sneered, turning around to all the colour drained out of the boys face. All of a sudden, she felt a type of feeling, a feeling she rarely ever has experienced. Empathy.

Him against the floor with his body hunched, his shaky fingers and the way his wings sulked. It ignited a small flame of empathy.

Giving him a disgusted look, she crouched down nonetheless and just looked at him.

"This makes you seem like a dirty piece of-"
Before she could finish the sentence, Renjun's hands clawed on her wrist, his eyes rolling to the back of his head. Surprised, she jolted away. Just like that, he dropped against the hard concrete floor with a blanket of broken wood and debris.

But what she had her eyes on, was the replica of the bracelet around her wrist.

He breathed "I told you, I don't break promises"

She held down her earpiece and spoke frustratedly as she paced around her convenience store.

"How many were hurt. Fuck. That would take at least a month to recover even mildly." She took a seat "No we don't have time! We need to find whoever the fuck blew up the venue. If there's a first time, there's no reason to say there won't be a second...Shut up, I want you to find them within this month or I'll fire you, all of you". She hung up. It was a mess. This was the first time she has had this big of a crisis. No one dared to mess with her gang. Those who tried usually ended up with a whole team of dead people and a destroyed base.

A cup of hot coffee was placed in front of her.

"I'm not very good at making coffee so the instant one is going to have to do" A familiar hand appeared in front of her. The hand with the distinctive swan tattoo that she'd never forget.

"Don't you see I'm stressed" She whipped her head up. Renjun didn't look much better than a couple hours before. His hair was tasselled and his lips were as dry as the sahara desert.

"That's why I made the coffee for you" He shrugged. She couldn't understand how Renjun was so calm when she could cut off Renjun's lifeline by simply ripping off her bracelet

"I can kill you by just getting close to you. The safest option for both you and me would be for you to just leave" She stirred the coffee

"You have the bracelet" He smiled "It makes things better"

She ignored him.

"You know, you're not a horrible person" He jumped off his seat to casually throw himself onto the counter,

"That was an insult" She rolled her eyes

"You could've just left me to die. But you didn't, which means-"

"If I left you to die, I'm going to need to find another husband and there is not a single bone in my body that possesses enough effort to do that. Of course, all Angels are are optimistic pieces of a shit"

"Clearly you don't know us well enough" He clicked his fingers "You see, we all come to become an angel the same way and gather together in the same place. Once we reach our death as a human, we ascend up to heaven and carry out our duties as Angels. Everyone has their own story on how they became an Angel; not many want to tell. It's pretty traumatic." He explained even though Xinyi was barely listening "You know that hospital just around here?"

"I dont"

"Well, if you push open the Autism and Age regression department door with these rings on" He raised his fist to show his glistening ring "You'll enter our world. That's where I always get a beating from my leader because I broke some type of rule again. The little jerk. Always finds stuff to scold me about."

"Did I ask" Xinyi sighed, flipping aimlessly through her notebook

"Who said I was talking to you. Who knows, maybe I have a little fairy prancing around in my head accompanying my monologue" The way Renjun talks was always so enthusiastic and curious. He really could talk for ages.

"It wouldn't be called a monologue if you were talking to someone" She murmured

"The people up there are horrible.They keep telling us to 'go capture evil souls' when all they do is sit on their butt staring at a computer that continuously shows who died at what second. I don't get it. I wouldnt look at that. You know, especially Taeyong. He does nothing but tick off boxes of qualifications and reads the names of dying people. I'd capture evil souls any day if it meant I didn't need to read receipts of dead people" He rambled on, and on, and on. The boy didn't seem to have a zip.

"Please, do me a favour and shut up" She groaned. At that moment, a customer walked in and Renjun immediately jumped off the counter. The customer had broad shoulders and a smily face, his eyes folded cutely into a line as he advanced her. But something about him gave her the feeling that he smiled like that to multiple different girls.

"Hey. This one please" He placed a packet of gum in front of her.

Renjun leant closer to her ear and whispered "He doesn't look like good news". Ignoring Renjun and giving him an elbow to the stomach, exchanging the packet of gum for money.

"You're quite pretty for a convenience store worker" The customer threw the packet of gum in the air and catching it with a swipe of a hand.

"And you're quite annoying for a convenience store customer" She had to face these types of people every so often; she was used to it.

"I like the attitude" He pulled out his phone "How about your number?"

She took his phone and typed in a number. Immediately, she left behind the staff doors.

Jeno took a smug glance at his phone "I knew she had a soft spot for- oh"

56th Ex
Home number: 119

Renjun couldn't help but laugh.