Chapter 16

Xinyi, amidst absolute torment, was carried and laid down on an empty hospital bed. The man, to avoid further embarrassment, strode towards the door, closing and locking it, pulling the curtain around the bed she was at as well.

"I didn't know it'll have that big of an effect" The man Xinyi recognised as Renjun, sighed with guilt.

"Hurry up and fucking fix it" She groaned, her head pulsing again when his touch left hers. She looked like she could pass out any minute now.

"Sorry" Renjun apologised yet again, swiftly flicking his ring off and outstretching his delicate feathers. Renjun's wings emitted a gentle light, the outline glowing against the dull, yellow tinted room.

He grabbed her hand, wrapping his own around her bracelet, closing his eyes. The opal on her bracelet glowed a pretty palette of pastel white and pink. After only a couple seconds, Renjun let go and a massive breath escaped Xinyi's lips.

"Sorry" Again, he apologised.

"Stop apologising, my ears hurt" She sat up, sliding off the bed and heading straight out the door. Thankfully, most bystanders that had went to go watch the commotion had dispersed

"Walk quickly, I want to go home" She scowled at Renjun, who bowed his head down and scurried behind her as he shoved his ring back on his finger.

"It was because of me that you had to go through that" Renjun exclaimed, frustrated more at himself than anything.

"Is this some type of magic telepathic shit"

"That's one way to put it" He gestured to the sky "I got my second strike"

She suppressed a breath, rolling her eyes in the process.

"Xinyi" He pulled her back "Look" He pulled up his wrist to see a roman numeral 2 tattooed onto his wrist with a puffy outline of pink around the the intricate tattoo.

"Just don't get another strike and we'll both be fine" She looked at it for barely a second, then walked away

"If only it was as simple as that"

Xinyi entered her room, pushing open the door with a foul mood sprayed across her face. She felt alright now, but that pain she experienced for a good 10 minutes was no joke. It felt like she did a waltz with Satan in hell's ballroom.

"Are you alright?" Renjun asked for the 20th time that minute.

"You have eyes, Renjun, use them. I'm not lying on the ground crying out to dear mother of Jesus to save me. I'm fine" She exclaimed with exasperation. Advancing her bed, she noticed a ball of congee on her beside table.

"Don't leave your food in my room" She spoke with hostility

"I didnt. Mireu left it there. It's not his food either, he made it for you" Renjun took a seat on her bed, watching her pick up the sticky note that was stuck against the bowl. Her expression barely flinched, but he noticed a subtle change. Her eyebrows were no longer knotted tightly together.

For your hangover.
- Mireu

Renjun smiled lightly "You should go thank him"

Xinyi's expression immediately fell to her usual one "Thank him for feeding me expired congee that's going to taste like shit?"

Renjun rolled his eyes "One day you'll thank him, mark my words."

Xinyi dismissed the comment. Her phone rang the moment after. She picked it up with a small hint of confusion in her eyes.