Chapter 15

Xinyi's eyes slowly fluttered open as an aching pain began to course through the arm she had lay on for the whole night. She furrowed her eyebrows, groaning at the taste of morning dew that left it's tears along her body. She opened her eyes, not meeting the blinding sun but another face. She hadnt processed who he was at first, blinking several times to check whether she was indeed alive and intact. In front of her was a beautiful complexity equivalent to a pearl found in the deepest clam.

Long lashes, pale skin, gentle lips with a mob of silky silver hair. His nose was a petite and rosy and his cheeks matched the pink of the sunrise. If he was a canvas, god must have taken his most treasured brush and drew him into a joyful perfection.

The boy opened his eyes. Such chocolate eyes that hid a wonderland where the lake was silver and the trees blossomed in winter. He was shy, the boy. So immediately, with only a second of hesitation, he whipped his head and his cheeks grew to an even rosier red.

"I don't know how I fell asleep...Angels don't really sleep it just kind of happened" He chuckled awkwardly, his eyes locked on the girl who lifted her head and a duvet that was placed over her shoulders slid off her back.

She felt like she was going to be in a good mood today. Her last night was silent. A peaceful silence. It was the best sleep she had gotten in years.

"Mireu left something for you on your beside table"

Oh. There was a kid too. She forgot about the kid. Her day suddenly didn't seem as good anymore.

"Tell him to chuck it" She rolled up the duvet and entered back into the empty convenience store.

"He just did it out of kindness" Renjun trailed behind her with a whiny tone

"I don't want his kindness" She spoke, entering the staff room and walking down the stairs to her office. Passing Mireu who was sat staring aimlessly at absolute nothingness, she called him.

"Oi, piece of trash"

Mireu flickered his eyes her way. Renjun gave Xinyi a good elbow to the side

"Throw the trash along with yourself away. There's a big bin outside the store" And she walked away without another bat of an eye.

"Xinyi stop" Renjun fell into her steps "Stop being an ass"

"You call me an ass when you brought some random kid home who tried to kill me?"

"When are you going to get over that"

"When that kid's out of my house"

Renjun was going to ask her to take them shoe shopping, though, that didn't seem very possible with the current looks of things.

"Look, Xinyi" He reared around here, standing straight in front of her "Could I have some money"

Xinyi rose one eyebrow, scoffing "You're going to leech off me for money?"

"No...I'll return it to you. Or...I'll take shifts in place of you at the convenience store every so often. Plus, I do work at a hospital"

"You don't work at a hospital. You walk into the hospital and enter one door then rise up to heaven or some shit. That's not called working that's called trespassing"

"I just want to buy him new shoes"

"More of a reason why I shouldn't give you money"

"But-" Abruptly, Renjun's head begun pulsing, his hands quick to grasp the roots of his hair as he groaned in pain.

"Okay, okay, I'm coming" Renjun exclaimed, as if he was speaking to himself.

"I'll have this conversation with you when I come back" Renjun narrowed his eyes at Xinyi and took his hospital coat off the couch, dashing out the room.

Pushing open his hospital office, he was met with a quick blur of pure white and then landed on a cloud textured floor with his knees against the ground and head bowed down.

"I'm sorry" Renjun begged before he had even seen or heard anyone. He knew exactly who's shoes were in his vision and he knew exactly who was about to yell at him.

"A kid this time, huh?"

The feet in his vision began to tap, igniting a small spark of panic within Renjun.

"It was...inevitable" Renjun whipped his head up "I couldn't just watch him die!"

"Interfering with human fate, exposing identity, interfering with human dreams, refusing to report back, exposure of information, irresponsibility and recklessness" Taeyong paced around in a short line, tapping his finger against his crossed arm.

"I know, I know. I just couldnt...you would've done the same if you were in my situation"

"Then you have to take responsibility for your actions" The person in front of him, Taeyong, kneeled down and stared intimidatingly into Renjun's guilty eyes.

"Hand" Taeyongs voice cut through Renjun's train of thoughts as he sheepishly extended his hand out for him.

"You have one more strike before probation." He explained, placing two fingers on Renjun's wrist and closing his eyes. The familiar scorching pain electrified his body, forcing groans and shouts of pain to extrude out of Renjun's mouth. Like a tattoo wand that was made out of burning hot rocks, a roman numeral 2 was carved into his skin. Renjun fell face first onto the floor, scrunching his eyes in pain as his body rolled into a ball.

Taeyong breathed in and held in his empathic heart. He hated having to punish people that he had cared for like his own son. Though, punishments are punishments, no one can change its nature. Turning away, he clicked his fingers to drain all noise out from his ears and walked away apathetically.

Xinyi had followed Renjun with a curious heart, finding herself all the way at the hospital Renjun had claimed to work at. She wanted to know where exactly Renjun's own little angel world resides at. She wasn't convinced it existed in the first place

She found herself face to face with the Autism and Age Regression door that Renjun had mentioned a while ago. She realised Renjun wasn't lying a single bit when he blabbered about his life to her. Who was she kidding, it was Renjun, an angel. No angel lies.

She placed one hand on the handle, turning it tentatively until the door creaked open. It didn't reveal a winter wonderland of pure white and snow, nor did it show her some rainbow lake she saw in her dream yesterday. It was an office. An office you could just about see in any hospital room. She was sure that Renjun went through this door, yet there was simply not a single soul in the room.

In preparation to close the room, she pursed her lips and took a step back. With no sign of warning, a stab of intense agony spiked through her body. Her hands met the floor and her body dragged her down with the weight of pain. Everything hurt, she felt overwhelmed and writhed with agony, as if the pain was a drum that hammered against her chest. The drum pulsed to her every heartbeat, gradually getting faster and then becoming an overall numbness that soaked every hair on her body.

"What..." She breathed, barely able to form a coherent sentence "What is going on"

People gathered around her, whispering in a quiet frantic as she continued to lay on the ground, clasping her clothing in a futile attempt to ease the burning pain. There were an array of footsteps that dashed at her, the vibrations pounding into her palm.

Until the door from the office she tried to enter opened, and out stepped a doctor with a white coat and worried eyes. A scent of fire wood mixed with wildflowers infiltrated her senses, the familiar scent sending her a signal of safety. She had never focussed on this scent before, but it gave her a sense of comfort and warmth.

"Sorry" The person who smelled like wildflowers apologised, and scooped her up into his embrace. She didn't knock out, she just felt the whispering and pounding extinguish like a glass cup over fire. Everything was quiet.

At last.