Chapter 21

Renjun's eyes widened, piercing through her outstretched body.

"Xinyi what are you thinking-"

Xinyi brutally cut Renjun off, eyes locked and only focussed on who seemed to be the leader of the realm.

"Take it" Her face was etched with certainty. She did not look afraid, nor did she look like she cared for the consequences. Taeyong glanced at the people around him, everyone looking more confused rather than guilty. She could see he was more than tempted to just take it from her, but he was hesitant. She saw his two sides battling within him. Angels, such kind beings.

"No, no Xinyi wait" Renjun grabbed her arm, pulling her towards him.

"You know what happens if your soul-"

"Isn't that what you want?" She turned to face directly at Renjun, provoking, encouraging him to just take her whole identity away from her.

"How do you do it. What, play vampire and suck my blood? Pull a Harry Potter and Lumos it out of me?" She remembered the first time Renjun had tried to take her soul. She remembered him holding her cheek and angling his jaw, inhaling deeply and leaving a centimetre between each other. That time, he was still afraid of her, shivering to the point he felt like his skin was decorated with icicles. That hadn't happened to him in a while, the most he had gotten recently was a casual breeze or two. Maybe the bracelet was really working.

"Or a kiss?"

The whole area extinguished into complete silence. She smirked. They were all so easy to read.

"You look terribly afraid." She commented, watching Taeyong's face morph into uneasiness. They had the upper hand here, yet Taeyong was still hesitating. No one had ever willingly gave their soul away, until her. Perhaps that's what made it so hard. It broke all the expectations they once knew.

"Renjun" She turned her body around to face Renjun, pulling a packet of gum out from her pocket. The only sound was the crinkling of the aluminium covering of the gum. She unwrapped it, handing it to Renjun "Eat it"

"Why-"

"Just eat it"

Everyone around them watched as Renjun put the gum in his mouth, chewing slowly with confusion eating out his head. He didn't know what to think. After meeting Xinyi, he lived like a human would. Not once had he even considered his allegations as an Angel. It was refreshing; all humans need to do is play the simple game of life.

"You, over there, the leader" She once again caught Taeyongs attention. The male advanced her, footsteps spiked with a hint of fear.

"I'll do it. I'll...take you soul. Just wait-" Taeyongs footsteps immediately halted. Xinyi smiled, a big, malicious smile. With one single claw of Renjun's shirt, she violently jerked him closer, his foot barely about to stabilise. She drew their faces closer, mirroring the action Renjun had done last time. There was simply no time to process as she clasped Renjun's shirt hard, pulling him so close all she could hear was Renjun's heavy breathing.

Paralysed, he didn't dare do anything with not even a centimetre distance between their lips. She held his collar, one hand on the back of his head and the other around his neck. His hand was placed firmly on her arm, trying to force it off him. He was far too shocked to comprehend anything. He felt a soft breeze overwhelm him again, but her touch was gentle, like a new day that was drying from last nights rain.

"Take it" She whispered, lips scraping against his. Their eyes met each other's. His irises were glowing, emitting beautiful yet short, subtle rays of silver. He didn't do anything, he just breathed her oxygen.

"Why won't you take it?" Her voice was low. He swallowed a building lump in his throat. He still remained silent. Trailing one hand from his neck to his chest, she pressed her hand on his shirt. There was a drum underneath. A messy drum without a clear rhythm, hammering and bashing loudly inside its cage.

She parted her lips, waiting for him to just steal her soul away from her. She didn't care. She didn't want it.

"Listen to me. Renjun's weak right now. I'll take it" Taeyong repeated again, taking another dangerous step closer to the two. Xinyi flickered her eyes up to the pair of voids that were already scrutinising right through her own pair. For once, she couldn't read him. Renjun had a complicated expression on his face.

"Sure, then" She agreed. Just as she was about to push him away, Renjun took a step closer, sliding his arm around her waist and pressing their lips together. A slow, gentle syncopation.

The whole room flood with shock, Taeyong's eyes widened. No one dared move. No one knew whether Renjun was taking her soul or just simply kissing her.

Xinyi's body felt helpless, hand now on his shoulder as her eyes screwed shut. She didn't know what to feel. A small feeling erupted deep within her stomach. This whole feeling reminded her of the wonderland she dreamt of. The fragile lavender scent and the subtle taste of candies; the garden of little fireflies and smiling fairies. It felt exactly like her dream.

To Renjun, it was the feeling of a sweet 17s first love. Holding hands while skipping towards the school gates. Sharing drinks and leaning on each others shoulders at break time. Getting anxious over which bouquet of flower to pick.

The opal on her bracelet glimmered. They parted, forehead against forehead with eyes staring into eyes. A moment of complete silence and peace, along with the heavy metronome of their heart. He didn't take her soul. She knew that. She didn't feel as if something had left her. All she felt was the feeling of being kissed.

"Hold my hand" Renjun whispered, a breathy tone behind his words. She did, without a question.

"Ren-" Taeyong called

Renjun clicked his fingers and everything around her was just a blur. Until they landed on the hospital floor, inside the office and back in her realm. They parted.

"Why did you let them take your soul" Renjun asked, his voice obviously more heavy than it usually was.

"Why did you kiss me" She retorted right back

"To take your soul"

"You didn't"

He fell into silence.

"Why did you let me take your soul" He questioned again

"Because I don't want it"

"Do you just want to get rid of me that badly"

"Partly"

Renjun scoffed "You're lying"

"If you know I'm lying then why'd you ask"

It was one of the bluntest conversations they've had

"Then tell me the truth"

"I want to die. Is that a good enough answer?"

"Xinyi I know that's not true"

"Then stop asking" She turned around, pushing open the office door and scrambling out with her head buried down. Renjun chased after her. His foot suddenly skidding to a stop, like there was a imaginary wall in front of him. A burning rope clung around his neck, oxygen stolen from his every breath. The girl in front of him also drew to a stop. Like transported into hell, the two both stood on top of burning rocks and lava tangling and trapping their throats.

"Taeyong" Renjun barely spluttered out, eyes narrowed and eyebrows knitted into a deep furrow. His heavy breaths turned into gasps for oxygen and suffocating inhales. A hint of metallic blood dabbed at the back of his throat.

"Taeyong stop it" He was speaking like he was talking to the heavens. Renjun's palms hit the floor, the girl in front of her flying to the floor too. Now there was ringing, screeching and whining inside their ear. Like the screaming of wheel tires, striking her eardrums.

"Lee Taeyong" Renjun exclaimed anguishly, sand in his voice and tears to the corner of his eyes "You're going to kill-"

Renjun dissipated and Xinyi was on the floor, completely unconscious.