Chapter 35

"Take it Renjun" Xinyi whispered "If you cant protect him anymore, at least hold his soul and protect that with every bone in your body. I know you can"

Renjun swallowed the knot that squeezed all the air from his throat.

"Forgive me for being a bad father" Locking his fingers tightly in hers, he leant down towards the little warrior. His lips parted, and then a river of gentle, glowing particles spilled from one mouth to the other. A waterfall of memories and life, weaving into another's. The process was short, and the moment Renjun closed his mouth, he collapsed.

Xinyi held him by the arm, cradling him as if he was a child. Renjun's eyebrows knitted together, groaning in agony as he quickly yanked off his ring to roll beside hers that still lay on the floor. His palms hit the floor; the room muted, the emptiness of his chest bursted with hammers. His wings crinkled and struggled, jerking about like a broken doll. The glow dulled, the white shrivelling down and bending into mere charcoal ashes.

Then Renjun hit the floor, among a puddle of glowing, white feathers.

The rain poured like needles sowing small beads into the skin of a man and a woman, dressed in black with a dull umbrella over their heads. Satan's bed of clouds invaded the sapphire sky, swallowing the bright yellow disc and replacing it with the lone moon that reigned over the midnight terrace. The grave stunk of deceased souls; some drowned in wine and some awaiting the visit of their children.

Xinyi and Renjun walked towards the grave with a name carved on it. Mireu. Huang Mireu. Age 7 and died a hero.

"Mireu" Renjun crouched down, allowing the tears of the cloud to soak his hair and clothes "Your dad did it. I did it."

Xinyi placed a hand on his visibly trembling shoulder.

"Your dad can finally feel his wild beating of his heart, the shivering coldness of a rainy day, the pain of a paper cut, the jolt of shock when you bump your knee into the corner of the table" She chuckled, letting the melancholy lather upon her otherwise, light-hearted words.

"I'm human" Renjun brushed a hand over the grass. Abruptly, he yelped, bolting upwards. Blood. It left little trickles of crimson along his finger as it twisted around his wrist and dyed the grass a faint ruby. He held his finger, blinking blankly. His eyes trailed down to the fine piece of glass on the floor that he must have hurt himself with. It was no surprise that people left broken pieces of glass bottles littered across the floor. Xinyi put the umbrella down, soaking herself in the rain as she held his finger in her icy hands.

"Now as humans, we have to tend to these things so it doesn't get infected" Xinyi smiled softly, pulling a tissue from her pocket and pressing it against Renjun's flesh. He flinched. It was a rather deep cut. The tissue soon spread with red, like ink dipped into water.

Xinyi then took a bandaid out from her pockets, peeling off the covering and wrapping it gently around Renjun's finger. Now the blood was no more. All there was was a tacky brown plaster around his skin.

"You're not afraid of water anymore?" Xinyi began as she picked up the shard of glass on the floor.

"It feels better than I thought" He muttered "Better than a pool of water"

"Your dad" Xinyi spoke to the grave "He's deadly afraid of water. Did you know? He doesn't like to show it but I've seen him jump a good few metres at the sight of it"