Chapter 32

A curtain of white hung from one pillar to the next. Candles stacked on each table, accompanied by an assortment of flowers neatly positioned in the porcelain vase. The wedding tunes drifted in the atmosphere: the melodic tune of the violin, the low rumble of the cello, the delicate notes of a piano all mixed together to create a elegant melody supported by the most gentle harmonies.

Her heels clinked against the marbled floor. Her body was fitted with a black dress with endless layers and a lace that decorated the sumptuous fabric. A body of black on a wedding decorated with white was perhaps not what the traditional wedding would look like, but this setup was exactly what Xinyi's wedding was. Her lipstick was a blood red, smeared across her lips along with her jewellery that reflected rays off from each diamond studded along the accessory.

She walked up towards the podium with a bouquet of lavenders in hand. Petals of the finest roses were scattered onto the stage from a pair of chubby hands. A little boy she had learnt to accept, and even grow from. A little boy who was the dragon that fought off the bad guys. Mireu; the little boy with a big smile and a big heart.

Her feet took her forwards, not a single stumble in her step. She saw the childish grin of her lover, standing nervously on the stage with his hands clasped together to hide the tremble. His hair was slicked back and never once had she seen him this nervous before. Renjun didn't have his ring on, and a pair of wings extended like a blooming rose behind him. The feather's waltzing with the wind and the subtle glow lightened up the atmosphere.

He was forever the Renjun she knew; the Renjun that smelt like fresh firewood and lavenders, the Renjun that held all the broken piece of the stars in his eyes, the Renjun that could unravel any knot in her chest and the Renjun that gave her her first pair of arms to sleep with.

A wedding. Her wedding. It was happening.

Her eyes were locked on the man in front of her. They both could not fight off their smile. Both young and free, yet committing one of the heaviest milestones of their life.

"This oddly reminds me of our first wedding" Xinyi chuckled, holding Renjun's hand.

"It sure does" Renjun replied "In two minutes this place will blow up"

They both laughed.

"What do we do? Say our vows? This is why I told you we should've gotten a priest-"

"Then I won't be able to see those wings of yours"

"You spent a whole night yesterday memorising the vows. Quickly say it before you forget" Renjun nudged her.

"Okay calm down" Xinyi cleared her throat, switching the atmosphere back. 

"I, Jin Xinyi, take thee, Huang Renjun, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge myself to you."

"Till death do us apart, Xinyi"

"Mireu get off the couch!" Renjun hollered playfully from across the hospital room, catching the attention of a couple passing patients. It's been a couple days, and the three were like a complete family. Mireu was only allowed out to attend Renjun and Xinyi's wedding for one day, and now, he was forced back into the hospital and would not sit still.

Xinyi lifted a corner of her lips, raising the ring up to eye level. The ring was simple: gold wrapping around her finger to carve into a swan shape. An opal was positioned in the middle; the same opal that was on her bracelet. Renjun had made this ring himself with some scavenging of the library in his realm and couple flicks of the finger. Taeyong hadn't called since Renjun snuck out for the second time until now.

Renjun suddenly halted chasing Mireu, a screeching bursting into his head like a thousand rockets going off. But this time, he didn't obey. He grasped the roots of his hair and murmured incoherent words, crashing on his knees. Xinyi shot up, stumbling to his side with her arms around his shoulders.

"It's Taeyong, isn't it?" She exclaimed with panic lacing her voice. Renjun was in too much pain to reply. He was resisting.

"Renjun" She shook him. She was terrified he might fall unconscious again.

"I'm fine" Renjun sputtered out, his breathing becoming shallow with every inhale

"Just go" She urged. Renjun shook his head. In that moment, the man who had come to replace Renjun burst into the room, falling on his knees as he too, grabbed Renjun by the arms.

"Huang Renjun listen to me. You know how powerful Taeyong is. Stop resisting you'll destroy yourself" The man exclaimed. Renjun trembled and violently shook his head. His hands palpitated as covered his ears in anguish.

"Huang Renjun!" The other man roared until Renjun stopped shaking and let out a gut-wrenching cry. His voice pierced through the ears of everyone near him. But his body stopped shaking and his hands dropped from his ears. There was not a pin drop of noise

"Renjun..." Xinyi spoke softly.

"I'm fine" A breath of relief escaped his mouth. The war inside his head settled. The man, namely Kun, blinked in utter bewilderment. Renjun just expelled out Taeyong's voice; no one could do that.

"How did you..." Kun's words trailed off.

"Kun, I won't say this again. I'm not going back there to be told I can't do this, I can't do that" Renjun's laboured breaths added onto the fierce tone of his voice. He had never sounded so demanding, so angered by someone he could almost call his own father. That Angel inside of Renjun, withered, personifying him into more than a soulless corpse that could only speak words picked out from his 'kind' dictionary. He was speaking for himself, at last.

Taeyong's palms struck the table in fury, his chest heaving up in violent motions. Taeyong's censure towards Renjun was growing, exacerbating the foul situation more and more by the second. And the fact that Renjun was refusing to come back, was beginning to get to Taeyong's head.

"He doesn't know what he's doing" He heaved "Kun, you're watching him do exactly what you did back in the day"

Kun chewed his own lip, scratching at the dry skin that peeled off from the tip of his thumb. No one in the Angel realm had a good experience in the human realm, unless they were the elderly. The elderly that were sent here were the nicest, most understanding beings in this universe. They were only sent here when they were nearing their death anyways. As for the youth. They arrive here because of the most tragic, most heart-clenching experiences.

"You guys are like brothers. Are you just going to watch him fall down the same hole you did!?" Taeyong bellowed and Kun flinched "You begged me to become human, to be with that human of yours. Hah, what happened?"

"Taeyong" Kun clenched his teeth

"She killed herself for you, and now she's down there, all the way in hell. In the end, all you've done is summon hell over her head and drown yourself in drunken memories. That's what's happening to Renjun right now. Next moment you know, he'd realise he wouldn't dare make a sacrifice and then get that girl of his killed to be up here with him. Only to find out she'll just go to the hands of Satan with that dirty soul" Taeyong sneered with venom dripping from his tongue.

"I want to remind you of something" Kun flashed his eyes up to Taeyong's "I didn't give up on her back then, and nor would Renjun, even if it costs everything"