Chapter 47

I leaned forward in my seat and stared at the phone with wide eyes and my heart pounding hard in my chest, and my mate wrapped his arms around me so that I wouldn't fall. Excitement filled my body while I looked at the phone, for foxes were rare and to hear that one was mated to a cat was much rarer.

There were only about one hundred or so left that I knew of because, unlike other species, they died if they were rejected or not. They were closely bonded with their mates, something that some species didn't have a problem with, and even them having sex with someone else could kill them.

But, like cats, they had magical powers, sometimes being far greater than a cat, which was why they died if they were rejected or had sex with someone that wasn't their mate.

If the prince were mated to a fox, then that would be a great reason for him to go against his father and respect all half-breeds and not just his children because they would be in the same boat. He would be a great asset to me to the other foxes if they ever crossed paths with us.

"A fox?" I asked, not able to hide the excitement in my voice and not even trying to hide it. "Is that what you said?"

Cornelius hid a chuckle with a cough, but I didn't care while I stared at the phone, praying that he would repeat himself. "Yes, Your Majesty," he confirmed again. "He is mated to a fox."

"Is she or he a purebred fox, or are they a half-breed mixed with something else?" I asked, knowing full well how rare a purebred fox was, so I wasn't going to hope for that. I leaned towards the phone and looked at the phone, silently encouraging him to answer my question.

"She is purebred," Cornelius said. He cleared his throat, and I had a feeling that he shifted on his feet while he grew serious. "Unfortunately, that is all I can tell you, Your Majesty. I had promised the young prince that I wouldn't tell anyone about his mate to keep her protected."

I grew tense and looked at the phone, pressing my lips into a thin line. Worry filled my body, and I prayed that no one was near him to hear what he had to say. I didn't want to cause them any pain because I was curious about the prince's mate since she was a fox. "Are you safe?" I asked, not hiding the concern in my voice. "Are you alone?"

Cornelius chuckled, and I had a feeling that he nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty," he soothed, and I relaxed slightly. "I am in a safe space where I can talk to you in peace." He paused and cleared his throat. "If I were not in a safe space, then I wouldn't talk to you like I am now."

I slowly nodded and relaxed against my mate, and he wrapped his arms around me and kissed my head. "Of course," I said. I cleared my throat and shifted on my mate's lap. "I would like to speak to him," I said, growing serious. "I do need his input on things, especially since he is the direct link to his clan and then to me."

"Of course, Your Majesty," Cornelius said, and I had a feeling that he nodded. He wasn't mad that I didn't say that he was my direct link to the clan since the High Royals counted on the Royals to look after them. "I will see if I can bring him next time." He paused and cleared his throat, and I could tell that he was nervous. "Can you do me a favor and not tell him that I had told you that his mate was a fox?" he asked hesitantly.

"Did he ask you not to tell anyone?" I asked hesitantly and cringed in guilt. I didn't want him to have any problem with his king because he told me something that his king didn't want anyone to know.

"He did," he confirmed. "He did not order me, but he did ask me not to tell anyone. His brother doesn't even know."

"You could have told me that you weren't allowed to say anything," I said, feeling guilty for putting him through this because I knew that he was loyal to the young prince and didn't want him to think any differently of him. "I would have understood."

Cornelius chuckled softly. "I know, Your Majesty," he said. "However, I know that you are nervous about the princes and the bond they have to your people and the half-breeds."

I slowly nodded and felt grateful that he thought it was fine for me to know. "I do appreciate it," I said. "However, I do have to ask you not to get into trouble. I think you are the one that he trusts the most?"

"He does," he confirmed. "And, I don't want to lose that trust because I did something that he didn't like."

"You can tell him that I ordered you to tell me," I said and shrugged. I didn't mind having him think that I was the bad guy, and I prayed that wouldn't hurt my chances of getting him on my side. "I don't want him to be mad at you nor for him to lose your trust."

"I won't get into trouble, Your Majesty," he said soothingly, and I had a feeling that he was trying to get me not to worry, even though I was. "He will ask me not to tell anyone else if he finds out that I told someone against his wishes."

"Good," I said. I paused and cocked my head while I studied the phone, growing serious. "Do you know who else will turn against the king?" I asked. "And do you know his plans for the future?"

I knew that our time on the phone call was running short, even though I didn't like it. Our meeting had to come to an end, and both of us had to get prepared for a future that didn't look too bright at the moment.

"I know some of his plans," the second said. "Both Princes know all of his plans, but I know that they do not feel comfortable discussing all of them."

"Including with me?" I asked and raised an eyebrow.

"Especially with you, Your Majesty," he said. He paused and cleared his throat, and I could tell that he was nervous that I would think of them differently if I knew the king's plans and what he wanted his sons to do. "They don't want you to think that they want to go against your father's teachings and the way that you want to rule the throne. The oldest prince is fine being king of his species, and he doesn't want the responsibility of being the High King because, according to him, it is stressful."

I let out a breathless chuckle and leaned against my mate, feeling exhausted, even though I hadn't done anything that should make me feel this way. I closed my eyes and bit back a tired sigh while I cleared my throat. "Smart man," I said, not able to hide the exhaustion in my voice.

"He, and I, do believe that you are the right person for the job, Your Majesty," he said. "I know that it is stressful for you right now, but once everything settles, we know that you will take it in stride and help the clans flourish just as your father had done before you," he said. "You just have to keep strength and pray for a better future."

"Promise?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper. I closed my eyes when my mate placed a kiss on my head, knowing that he was saying the same thing as him, even though he didn't say it out loud.

"I promise, Your Majesty," he said. "I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't, and I promise you that I will only speak the truth and not something to stroke your ego."

I bit back a small chuckle. "Thank you, Cornelius," I said.

"Anything for you, Your Majesty." He cleared his throat and grew serious. "I must go, Your Majesty," he said. "I have been called for."

"Ok, thank you, Cornelius."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

And with that, the line went dead, leaving me and my mate in a complete state of silence.