Chapter 19

I lifted my hand from my face and looked at the bookshelf to see a shadow go behind it. "I know that you are there," I said. "I thought you were "against" spying."

Carver walked from behind the bookshelf and walked over to me, slowly. He didn't say a word, but I could tell that he was worried about me.

"How much did you hear?" I asked when he sat down across from me.

"All of it," Carver replied. He placed his arms on his legs and leaned forward, studying me. "Are you sure you want to send them?"

I shrugged my shoulder. "I don't know who else to send," I replied honestly. "I know the risk that I am taking by sending them."

"You could lose the king and princess and probably the whole lion clan." He studied me and watched as I looked down and nod. "Or, you can gain some valuable information that could lead to the end of Romanov's reign over the kingdom."

"And, that was what I was thinking of," I replied. "But, if I am wrong, then they are dead, and the lions could revolt against me."

Carver nodded his head. "I know," he confirmed. "And, I am worried, too. I do not know how to help." He moved a hand through his hair and sighed, looking rather conflicted.

"I guess we just have to trust them," I said, and Carver nodded. I bit my lip and furrowed my brows. "What should I do now?" I asked, and he shrugged.

"Prepare for the meeting," he replied. "As soon as you have the stone, you will be able to call a meeting with the cat clans. You are going to have to study on how to act, and your mate will have to start training as well."

I nodded my head and sighed. "And, I have to be "formally" introduced to the pack," I grumbled, and he smirked while I scowled.

"It will be good practice," he replied. He watched as I tensed and frowned. "Go to her," he said, knowing that something had caused Katie to be upset. "We will continue this conversation later."

I stood and nodded my head before racing to Katie. I didn't know what caused her to be upset, and I prayed that it wasn't anything bad.

***

"Katie?" I asked, knocking on the locked door. I placed my ear on the door to hear her sobbing and talking to someone. "Katie, it's me. Open up." I tried the handle again to see that it was still locked.

There was shuffling on the other side of the door and a small "go away," and my whole body became tense while my heart pounded hard in my chest.

I gripped the doorknob tighter and knocked on the door. "Come on, Sweetie," I said, my voice shaking. I could feel the strain of the command and heard my Tiger Spirit start to yowl in grief. "Please, open the door and let me in. Don't make me leave."

The door swung open, and I took a step back in shock. Katie stood in front of me, a venomous glare on her face. Her lip was curled into a snarl, and I couldn't understand what was happening. Her eyes were red and rimmed with tears, and I felt angry at whoever made her cry.

Butch was sitting by the door, and he looked as stunned as I was. He didn't say a word, and I couldn't help but wonder if he knew why she was pissed.

"You are going to leave anyway," she spat, and I flinched, surprised. "You should just leave now."

I clenched my fist to my side, my whole body tense. My heart pounded in my chest, and the blood rushed from my head and into my ears. "Please, don't say what I think you are saying," I practically begged. "You have no idea what it will do."

"I don't care," she said with a growl. She glared, and a lump formed in my throat. "Leave this pack, and never come back. I-I hate you!" After that, she slammed the door in my face and locked it.

I tried to fight the command, but it was too painful. Through bleary eyes, I turned tail and ran, making sure that no one would see me.

Tears streamed down my face as I made it outside and started run towards the woods. I had no idea where I was going, but I knew that I had to leave this pack. I couldn't escape the order.

Thunder rolled through, bringing flashes of lightning and hard rain that drenched me from head to toe. Lightning lit the path that I took, creating ominous shapes in the background.

Her words echoed through my ears with every step I took, my heart breaking more and more.

I hate you. I hate you. I hate you; the trees whispered as the wind blew through them. Leave this pack, and never come back.

I jumped into a tree as soon as I crossed the pack border and clutched the trunk as I sobbed. I had no idea what I had done to piss her off and had no words to offer.

My heart broke as I heard a mournful howl and knew that my mate was calling for me. He wanted me on the pack lands, but I couldn't go back no matter what he wanted.

I was ordered off of it, and only she would be able to free me from the command.

I closed my eyes buried my face into the bark as hot tears fell. I'm sorry, I whispered as I fell into a fitful sleep. For whatever I did, I am sorry.