Chapter 30

I watched as they started to appear around us, my heart clenching when I noticed that my clan didn't appear with them. I glanced at Carver when he placed his hand on my shoulder and tried to smile when he gave me a small smile.

Sadness filled his eyes because he knew what I thought as they gathered around us. Slowly, he removed his hand as we were surrounded by our brethren, everyone silent.

Each King and Queen from all clans stepped forward once everyone was gathered, all eyes on us. Their seconds were gathered behind them with a few loyal guards at their sides.

Slowly, the stone unhooked itself from its spot and drifted in front of me. It bounced up and down, gesturing for me to take it in my hands, but I didn't. I knelt in front of it, and all the clans gathered, my tiger half approving my decision.

"Yo-" Carver began but stopped once I raised my hand. Shock came off of him in waves, and I knew that others were shocked as well.

High Queens never bowed below anyone, and here I was, kneeling before them with my hand across my chest.

Silent murmurs filled the air, some of them being disapproval while others approved with me bowing towards them. No one said anything directly to me, and I knew that they were waiting for me to say something.

I took in a deep breath and licked my lips, letting my hand fall. I wasn't good at being formal, and I knew that they wouldn't care, not with me bowing like this.

So, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes before opening them again. I kept my gaze firmly on the ground, not knowing when I should look up, and prayed my tiger spirit would tell me when. "I know that some of you are waiting for formal introductions, but I would like to apologize for not doing it. It had never suited me anyway."

There was a murmur of chuckles surrounding the field. They knew it didn't suit me; the only time I did was when I received a soft scolding from my mother or Carver.

"Instead, I would like to apologize." I lifted my head and looked at those who I could see. "I would like to apologize for what my uncle had done to all of you and for the people he killed to get there." My gaze landed on my other two best friends, who looked perplexed at me, kneeling and no one telling me to stand.

The silence grew thick, heavy with past screams of dying loved ones and murderous laughter filling the air. The smell of burnt flesh surrounded us, while in the distance, the smell of rain filled the air.

I licked my dry lips and cleared my throat before I took in a deep breath. "The reason as to why I am bowing is I am offering you an ultimatum. I... have a feeling I know Romanov had done, what he was capable of doing, and..." I cringed and shook my head, not wanting to think about the sickening screams of my aunt.

My tiger growled out, and a ripple went through my body, but she didn't try to take control like she wanted to. She knew better, knew that it wouldn't do us any good, no matter how much we had the urge to attack and rescue them from their dungeons.

Again, I took a deep breath and relaxed before I did something dangerous, licking my lips. It wasn't the time nor place to have those thoughts, not when I had to convince these people to help me, to let me become their High Queen at least for a little while.

"I know that I am inexperienced and do not know what had happened these past eleven years, and I can understand if you do not want me as your leader because of that monster." I spat the word "monster" as if it was a curse before growling out my dissatisfaction. "I am not going to order you to accept me as your High Queen, even if it is my birthright." My voice was clear and left no room for argument, and this made people whisper about what I was planning and what they should do to prepare if I wasn't going to lead them.

Carver cleared his throat, silencing them. He didn't look at anyone but me, and I knew that he finally understood what I was doing and was dissatisfied but proud.

"All I am going to ask is if you will let me lead you as your High Queen through the battle against the man I have to call my uncle. I am asking you, my Lords and Ladies, to be my judges, and if I do not meet your criteria, then I will help choose the next High Royal that will guide the clans to freedom after he dies."

"And what about you?" Ro asked. "You are th-"

"I will keep my position as the Tiger Queen if they will allow me," I said, interrupting him from speaking. I looked at my two best friends and knew that they did not like the thought of me giving up my birthright.

"Do you know what you are offering?" a soothing and very familiar feminine voice asked. Pride filled the voice, but I could hear a little tremble of sadness in it. She smiled when I looked at her, her blonde hair turning white. Her blue eyes were filled with tears, and I knew that it was because I had the similar features of a female that she made friends with long ago.

Slowly, I nodded my head to the Snow Leopard Queen. "I do, Auntie Arie," I said, my voice trembling.

The female placed a hand over her mouth and the other over her heart. Tears filled her eyes, but she blinked them back. She didn't move from her spot, knowing that it wasn't time for those introductions, no matter how much both of us needed a hug from the other person. "My poor girl," she whispered, her voice cracking. She leaned against her mate, keeping her eyes on me. "My poor but wonderful girl. I am so proud of you."

My throat closed when she said that, and it took all of my will power not to stand and not continue what I was doing. My bottom lip trembled as I nodded my head, clearing my throat.

"Why should you be the Tiger Queen?" someone, a male, asked, pulling my gaze away from the Snow Leopard. He scowled and narrowed his eyes at me while I tried to remember who he was. "It was your uncle who had done this. He took power away from us and murdered us if we didn't abide by his rules."

"Then why are you here, Prince Adrian?" I asked, figuring this male was the Bobcat prince. "Why aren't you somewhere else, plotting against the throne, or did you figure out that it would be best to come when asked?"

"It is King Adrian, now," he growled, gritting his teeth together. He glared at me and ignored the soft warning his second sent his way. "Your uncle killed my father." He took a threatening step towards me and ignored the growls that others sent his way.

"That man is not my uncle," I said, spitting out the word 'man' in disgust. "He has no right to be called my uncle. He lost that title once he killed my father."

"But he is still your uncle by blood," he snarled, taking another step forward. Revenge filled his eyes, and I could tell that he wanted my blood spilled like his father's blood had been spilled. "And, I will get m-"

My tiger took control and stood, placing our hand out and creating the Bobcat to stand still. She ignored my protest, her annoyance filling the bond between us. "And you will do what?" she asked, her voice the mixture between us.

The king stared at us with wide eyes, fear chasing away the insanity that had filled them moments before. "I-" he began but stopped. "I-" He shut his mouth and bowed his head, submitting to us.

"No," she replied, taking a step towards him. "Please, continue that sentence, King Adrian. I am intrigued." She raised her other hand, stopping Carver from talking. "Or did a cat get your tongue?"