Chapter 53

The rest of the meeting went by smoothly, and we were able to discuss other possibilities and what to do if there was a chance that I was killed.

I didn't say much about what I knew, wanting to protect the young prince and his fox mate, but I did let them know that both sons did not agree with what was happening behind the scenes.

They seemed to know this but didn't push, even though there were a few curious glances my way during the rest of the meeting and the dinner afterward.

The princes were on their best behavior, especially Caspian, even though I made sure not to be alone with him if I could help it.

Tigress was still reeling from his actions, and I knew that she would have some words if we were alone with him at all.

Trevor and Brody made sure to be around me at all times to make sure that I didn't do anything stupid or Caspian to bother me.

However, George was able to catch me alone without my mate and second when I had left and gone to the bathroom. He grabbed my arm when I was about to make my way back to the other royals that were waiting for me.

"Wha-"

George shook his head and didn't say a word, indicating that I shouldn't talk just yet. He stayed silent while he led me to a private room, his whole body tense while he looked around and made sure that we were safe.

I followed him and stayed silent, not knowing what he wanted. I wasn't afraid of what he had to say, trusting him more than I trusted Caspian, especially since he hadn't had a crush on me like him.

George released me when we entered an empty room, and he looked at me. He relaxed slightly while he studied me, but he was still tense for whatever reason. "Are you ok?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper, and I raised an eyebrow in question.

"What do you mean?" I asked and furrowed my brows while I cocked my head. I shifted slightly, nervous about what he was trying to do, but I didn't try to leave the room or attack him. "Why wouldn't I be?"

George sighed and shook his head. He moved a hand across his face and hair while he studied me further, annoyed. "Are you ok?" he asked again.

"Yes." I nodded. I frowned and wrinkled my nose while I shrugged. "I mean... I guess that I am..." I sighed and sank a little while I tucked my head closer to my chest. My heart ached, and it felt as if there was a whole lot of pressure on me, pressure that came with being the next queen without the proper training that I hadn't been given. "No..."

George bit back a satisfied smirk, and I scowled and narrowed my eyes. He didn't say a word while he looked at me.

"I hate you," I said.

He chuckled and shook his head. "You don't," he said, "and I know that you don't."

I opened my mouth to say something but closed it, deciding against it. "What do you want?" I asked instead. "Are you trying to drink my blood again?" I raised an eyebrow and cocked my head while I studied him.

George scowled and blinked, annoyed. "Very funny," he said, and I smirked. He grew serious again and sighed while he shook his head, indicating that he wasn't going to try and suck my blood again. "I'm serious. Are you ok?"

"I told you," I said. "I am not." I moved a hand through my hair and cleared my throat. "I... will be fine in a bit." I shrugged and cleared my throat again, grimacing. "But why did you ask me if I am ok?"

George shrugged. "Because I am concerned about you." He cleared his throat and shifted on his feet, looking concerned. "Why are Brody and Trevor protective of you around Caspian? It was hard to get to you alone without them watching me too."