Chapter 55

"Does George know what happened?" Trevor asked later that evening when everyone and everything was settled, and we retired for the evening in front of a fireplace in the living room. He leaned against the back of his seat and placed his arm across his mate's shoulders while he looked between me and my mate before he let his gaze fall on me.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and slowly nodded. "He does," I confirmed before I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. "He knows what happened."

"How?" Brody asked and furrowed his brows while he cocked his head and studied me. "We made sure that he stayed away from you, too. I didn't want him to say anything that could have upset you either."

And cause you to leave...

I shook my head and ignored his silent question. "He wouldn't," I said. "He doesn't have a crush on me, and he had a lot more respect for me as a person and a leader than Caspian back then."

"What do you mean?" Brody asked and the two of them looked at each other before they looked at me again.

I sighed and shifted a little to get comfortable before I cleared my throat and moved a hand across my face. "I mean that he knows I am able to handle myself and will fight if needed. Pulling a chunk out of his arm helped with that. With Caspian, he hadn't seen me in action yet, nor had I kicked his ass yet."

"Does he think that you need to be protected?" Brody asked and raised an eyebrow.

I shrugged and grimaced. "I don't know," I admitted. "However, I do know that Caspian is going to be a pain in the ass until something happens."

"Like?" Brody asked and raised an eyebrow.

"Me getting mad at him and kicking his ass," I replied and cleared my throat while I shifted on my feet. "Unfortunately, I am going to have to wait until I am at one of the castles before that happens."

"Or we can tell the pack what actually happened and let you kick his ass here," Arabella said. "I am sure it would be fun for them to see you kick his ass."

I bit back a snort and shook my head. "Unfortunately, I am sure that will still cause some unrest," I said with a small sigh. I cleared my throat and moved a hand across my face, feeling exhausted and overwhelmed. "I'm still an outsider here. I-"

"No, you're not," Katie said, interrupting me. "You are the Luna. You are given as much respect or more than the king and some measly prince. Please, kick his a- booty. Please." She changed her word choice when she caught my look.

"You can start cussing when you are eighteen, ok?" I said with a small wink before I grew serious. "But the prince is going to be the whole king of the Werewolf community. There will be those that will choose him first and then me last. It doesn't matter that I am the luna of this pack or the queen of the tigers."

"And the whole cat clans," Kaden said before he cleared his throat and leaned back in his seat. "It seems to me that you have more power than him and have a lot more people respecting you and your decisions than they do him."

"But again, he is the king. Their wolves will want to protect their king."

"Actually not," Trevor said, and I looked at him. He cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck, sheepishly. "My wolf said if there was a fight between the two of you, then he is going to be making sure to watch your back and hurt him if you are down."

Kaden nodded in agreement. "My wolf agrees," he said. "He doesn't like the idea of fighting his king, but he will do it to protect his daughter."

I stilled and looked at him with wide eyes while my heart stopped beating. I didn't say a word while I studied him, wondering if he knew what he said and what his wolf had implied.