Chapter 51

The remaining two days went by quickly, and I was standing on the steps, waiting for the cars to be here with my mate by my side. I folded my arms across my chest and looked at my mate, nervous.

Brody was as still as a statue. His whole body was relaxed, but I could tell that he was nervous. He had his hands behind his back, and I had a feeling that he was tapping one finger against his other hand.

He didn't look at me while I stared at him; he looked towards the long winding driveway, waiting for the kings and queens to arrive.

Trevor moved closer to my other side, and I glanced at him. Unlike my mate, he looked at me when I looked at him and smiled.

I tried to smile, but it looked more like a grimace before I turned my head to look at Carver, who was standing behind us with his hands behind his back.

He looked at me and slowly bowed his head, silently telling me to breathe and to focus on the road.

He wasn't as worried about this as the others, but I could tell that he was worried about me and how would react when seeing them after so long.

I took a deep breath and released it before I turned my attention back to the road just as soon as the sound of a car filled my ears followed by three others.

Brody took a deep, shuddering breath and cleared his throat. Nervousness filled his eyes, and he looked at me. "They have crossed the second border," he said, his voice barely above a whisper, and I nodded. "They will be here soon."

I nodded again and held out my hand for him to take. I didn't say a word while I looked at him, praying that he would get my message and take my hand into his.

My mate smiled and dipped his head. He didn't say a word while he took my hand and then pulled me to his side, his warmth and comfort enveloping me like a warm oversized blanket, and I felt safe in his arms like nothing could touch me.

The cars slowly pulled to the house and stopped at the stairs leading up to the main house. The door on the driver side opened at the exact same time, and a driver stepped out and walked towards the passenger side of the car.

In unison, they opened the front and back door at the same time, and people stepped out of the car, still in unison.

How the hell did they manage that? I silently wondered, slightly amused and amazed that they stepped out in perfect synchrony with each other. Did that take years of practice doing that or what?

Trevor bit back an amused snort, and I had a feeling that he saw what I saw. He didn't say a word when I glanced at him and only gestured to the awaiting guests with his head, indicating that I should turn around and welcome them to the pack.

I shot him an annoyed look before I did what I was told to do and looked at them.

Taking a deep breath, I cleared my throat and took a step forward, growing serious and taking my mate with me. "Welcome, Your Majesties and Your Highnesses," I said, my voice firm and calm while I dipped my head in respect. "Thank you for coming on such short notice. I appreciate it."

The kings dipped their heads and stayed silent. Each one of them had a soft look in their eyes, something that I didn't expect to see, especially since two of them had said they wouldn't help me.

"It was no problem, Queen Katherine," the Vampire King, Edmond, said. "We have been expecting your call."

I wrinkled my nose in disgust, not used to being called "Queen Katherine," for it still felt like it wasn't my title just yet. "I apologize for the wait," I said, letting him hear the dissatisfaction in my voice, and he smirked.