Chapter 56

My mate closed the trunk and looked at me with a soft smile on his face. "Are you ready?" he asked and raised an eyebrow while he held out his hand for me to take.

I bit my lip and shrugged. "As I'd ever be," I admitted while I walked over to him with my bag on my back. "You know that you didn't have to get food and whatever for them, right?" I raised an eyebrow. "Carver even said that they were being taken care of." I placed my hand in his, loving the warmth that happened between us.

My mate chuckled and nodded. "I know," he said and pressed a kiss to my hand, "but I wanted to make a good impression toward them. They've been displaced from their homes and all because of the war."

I bit the inside of my lip and slowly ducked my head because I felt guilty for not thinking of that, but I knew that they were protected and taken care of by others that represented me.

"Hey, look at me," my mate said and lifted my chin until I was looking at him. Concern filled his eyes while he studied me, and I had a feeling that he knew what I was thinking. "Don't think like that," he said softly. "They know that you have a lot on your plate right now and know that you are relying on others to take care of their needs. You've been preparing for something else, haven't you?"

I didn't reply and removed my gaze from him, staying silent because he was right; I had been preparing for meeting Amity because I knew that I had to get her fully under my command and not under my uncle's. I've been in contact with the Warlock King trying to get him to tell me how to do it, but all he'd say was "all in due time," whatever that meant.

"Well?" my mate asked when I didn't answer off the bat and raised an eyebrow. "Have you?"

Sighing, I nodded as best as I could because he had my chin in his hand. "I have," I confirmed before I cleared my throat and licked my lips. "I have some ideas on how to get her fully under my control, but there is still a slight chance th-"

"No," Brody said, interrupting me and shaking his head, and I raised an eyebrow in question. "Don't think like that." He let go of my chin but not after giving me a small peck on the forehead.

I furrowed my brows and cocked my head after my heart skipped a beat. "Think like what?" I asked, confused. "All I am saying is the tr-"

"And, you are being a pessimist," Trevor said while he walked over to the car followed by Carver. He had a bag on his back, and I could tell that he was prepared for whatever was to come our way. "He's trying to make sure that you aren't talking something up."

"And you aren't?" I asked and gestured to the bag, and he smirked. "I mean, what's in the bag?"

"Snacks for Her Majesty and another set of clothes," he replied while he bowed mockingly. "What else would it be?"

I didn't respond and shook my head, amused and grateful that he thought to get me something because I hadn't been able to eat due to my nerves being everywhere.

"I think everyone is here," Brody said, amused while he put his arm around me. "Let's get going. Carver, are you driving?" He looked at my advisor, and he nodded.

"Since I know where we have to go, yes," he replied. "Trevor, you're up front with me. I take it that you two will behave yourself?" He looked at me when he said that and raised an eyebrow, and my cheeks instantly went red.

"Stop," I said, and a small smirk appeared on his face. "There will be nothing going on between us while we are in the car. We're waiting until after everything is done before any of..." I trailed off, feeling slightly uncomfortable, and my face grew redder.

"I'd advise n-"

"Carver," I warned, interrupting him, and my advisor bowed while the smirk grew longer. I knew where he was going with that thought and so did my mate by the fact that he grew tense beside me and clutching my side. "Not now, please."