6.Orange is the new black

Why did his heartbeat feel faster than normal?

He slowly broke the hug, and stared right into my eyes, as he promised, "I will bring you delicious food every day."

I didn't quite believe him but still nodded enthusiastically.

"Rest early. You have a long day planned for tomorrow." Ezra advised, kissing me on the forehead.

Closing the curtains, he switched off the lights and left wishing me good night.

I, too, decided to heed his advice and retired for the night.

... ... ...

The jet lag finally kicked in, leaving me unable to sleep for more than a few short hours.

Tired of just lying in bed doing nothing, I got up deciding to take an early shower.

I still hadn't unpacked my bag. Unpacking would make this whole scenario too real.

My father's funeral would be held later this week. Stephen had informed me they had delayed it for my arrival.

So I didn't want to cross out the probability of them sending me back once the funeral was over. If that were to happen, it would be best for me not to get too attached to this place. Starting with this princess room.

If I were, to be honest, everything in this room gave me a headache. Starting from the queen bed placed in the middle, which by the way was unnecessarily large for a single person to sleep.

The walk-in closet which was completely vacant, and the study table placed beside the French window, I disliked every bit of it. It just didn't feel like home.

Was this truly the old room I used to stay in? I found it hard to believe.

The washroom wasn't that bad. I was happily surprised by the hot shower, which instantly made me relax.

I didn't even realize I spent two hours sitting in the bathtub. I would have stayed for longer if not for my stomach growling in hunger.

As I went to the kitchen, I sensed movement inside.

I was surprised to see Noah there. His clothes were drenched in sweat showing he just came from an intense workout.

"Good morning," I greeted.

Noah ignored me.

I was hungry. But I didn't want to eat without taking permission, what if they become angry? I doubt they would but better safe than sorry.

Just as I was contemplating if they would mind, I heard Noah order, "Bring me an orange."

I looked around to make sure it was me he was talking to.

I picked up an orange and passed it to him.

"Peel it." He was sitting on one of the stools before the kitchen aisle. Occupying the stool beside him, I complied.

Slowly peeling the orange, I passed him a slice, "I'm Aylin."

"I know." Noah took the slice from my hand, his eyes gazing at a magazine.

"You are Noah, right?" I passed him another slice while eating one myself.

He nodded before taking the orange I held out.

"What are you reading?" I asked seeing how focused he was.

"The Red Bulletin." He put his hand out for another orange slice.

"It's a sports magazine," he explained seeing my confusion.

"You like sports?"

"Hm."