14.Lavender

Eveline was staring at the wall in a daze.

Maybe I had underestimated the situation. Watching your twin try to mutilate her face could be hard to accept for some people. And Eveline had always been soft-hearted.

"Why did you come here?" I asked in an attempt to gain her attention.

"Oh, Ezra is calling everyone for dinner." She said recalling her intention of coming here.

"Go ahead, I'll join you in a second." I still had to bandage the small wound on my cheek.

"Eveline, remember you can't tell anyone." I reminded her before she could leave.

Now that she was gone, I finally looked at the remnants of my mistake.

My unevenly cut hair was lying on the floor, I gathered them and threw them in the dustbin. Picking up the scissor, I tried to even my hair.

Even though I never really cared for my hair, I still felt bad parting with it.

'Don't be sad. Now you look less like that witch.' the voices tried to console.

I sighed. Eve's not a witch.

Opening the cabinets in the bathroom, I looked for some first aid. I was glad to find a mini first aid box in one of the compartments.

The wound on my forehead hadn't healed yet and a new one had already formed. I inspected my cheek. It was still bleeding slightly. The cut wasn't deep so it shouldn't leave a scar.

Now I have to make up a lie to say during dinner. I wanted to skip dinner, but it would only make my brothers suspicious.

When I arrived in the dining hall everyone had already started eating. Good, less attention on me.

"Sorry for being late," I apologized lightly before occupying the empty seat next to Ezra. No one seemed to mind my tardiness. I thought Stephen would at least scold me a little.

"Did you cut your hair?" Ezra asked, surprised.

At Ezra's question, everyone looked up from their food to me. Kai looked at me with wide eyes as if realizing something.

"Yeah, I thought a new look wouldn't be bad." I nervously laughed.

"You look cute," Noah commented.

"Thanks," I blushed at the compliment.

"What happened to your cheek?" Stephen questioned.

"Oh this," I touched my bandaged cheek. "I accidentally cut myself with the scissor while cutting my hair." I lied effortlessly.

What followed my lie was a deadly silence.

I knew Stephen might not believe just any lie I conjured up. That's why I gave the half-truth. He shouldn't be doubting me after that. Even if he did, the rest of my brothers shouldn't be able to detect my lie.

Had Eveline ratted me out already?

I looked at Eveline to find her staring down. Her eyes never waver from her plate.

"Do you remember what I told you about telling lies?" I knew Stephen was allowing me to tell the truth.

"I'm not lying." I didn't want the opportunity.

"I wonder," Stephen put down his fork, placing his chin on his fisted hands, "Why would Eve say you hurt your face because you slipped in the bathroom?"

Slipped in the bathroom? Really? You couldn't find a better excuse, Eve?
How do you even cut your face by falling on a smooth surface?

"Uh-that's what I told her so she wouldn't panic." What's done is done, I had to fix things while I still can.