32.Neptune

"They know," I heard a whisper from beside me. It took me a second to realize it was Norah.

"Who knows?" I asked, not turning to look at her. It was dinner time. I was in the line to take the fish soup from the counter when Norah interrupted.

"The authorities. Someone ratted us out." She elaborated.

"I thought only us two know?" I couldn't help but frown. Did she lie to me?

"That was the plan." She stated. "But someone must have heard us in the bathroom."

"Who do you think it is?"

"My bet is on Arisa Edwards. She has been looking at me weirdly since lunch."

"What do we do now?"

Why was she so calm about it?

"We stick to the plan. We run. Now."

"What do you mean now?"

She didn't answer instead went back to her assigned table to eat. I did the same. I couldn't risk raising any more suspicions.

"10 minutes. Back door." Norah shortly informed.

I did as she said and met her in front of the back exit.

Norah took out a bobby pin from her hair and unlocked the lock in seconds. This part of the corridor was empty most of the times.

But as soon as we stepped out in the dark night, a blaring alarm sounded through the institute.

We already knew the alarm would go off. Stepping out through the back door was strictly prohibited unless for emergencies like fire and earthquakes.

Taking a deep breathe, I climbed the huge wall before me.

"Here, take my hand." I reached out my hand for Norah to grab. I could see the guards from up here. They had two hunter dogs accompanying them. They were barking furiously making me tremble a little.

But the fear was momentary.

The wind slapping against my face had never felt so refreshing.

I was one step away from freedom.

"Ready?" I inquired, tightly clutching the belt of my parachute.

"Yes." Norah confirmed.

And with that we jumped.

The landing went smoother than I had expected. The guards weren't able to reach the other side yet but I knew it wouldn't take them long.

"Run, we have a headstart." Norah stated, stretching her hands after the fall.

And that's what we did.

We ran.

And we ran.

We didn't stop.

But the forest just wouldn't end.

"I can't run anymore," I gasped, short of breathe. "My legs are giving out."

"We can't stop now, Aylin." She said, turning back to see if we were being followed.

We were.

"Just a little longer," She encouraged. "We just need to reach the highway."

But we had overestimated our strength.